EMF question

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

this is a serious question about electromagnetic fields. i enjoy watching those ghost hunting shows on tv and they claim that a high emf reading with a gaussmeter can cause the feelings of being watched or someone else is there with them. ive seen them get high readings off of door bell transformers and electrical panels. is this a known fact that these waves can cause this kind of feeling or is it a bunch of nonsense? ive done a service call and the person said they had a paranormal team investigate and found high emf readings around the house. i bought karl rileys book but i didnt finish reading it yet

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well, Karl is definitely one to read however paranormal is just what it is. It is very hard to get scientific evidence based on what someone says they feel. That being said , my wife , who suffers much from migraines, says that she gets wierd feelings when she gets close to the microwave. I figured she was nuts but maybe there is something to it.

I do'nt know if EMF can cause those feelings but once I did some work on a ladies house. She said her deceased husband had wired and done all previous electrical work. Everything was a disaster, from simple violations to energized bare conductors. After a couple of hours, I had the feeling he was there and suddenly smelled Old Spice. I wheeled around. No one was there.

electricalperson

buck33k said:
I do'nt know if EMF can cause those feelings but once I did some work on a ladies house. She said her deceased husband had wired and done all previous electrical work. Everything was a disaster, from simple violations to energized bare conductors. After a couple of hours, I had the feeling he was there and suddenly smelled Old Spice. I wheeled around. No one was there.
he might of been angry that you were fixing his work:grin:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
electricalperson said:
ive done a service call for a person that wanted all the romex in his basement replaced because he said he could feel the emf off of the cables. he even had a gaussmeter

If he can feel the emf from cables in the basement then he would have to be right on top of them unless something is wired incorrectly in the house to cause the emf's. There are 3 basic things that can cause high level emf's.

electricalperson

my boss came up with the idea to drive a 40 foot ground rod to fix the problem. the jackhammer broke before we could finish and i was sent to another job so i dont know what the outcome was from that

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
electricalperson said:
my boss came up with the idea to drive a 40 foot ground rod to fix the problem. the jackhammer broke before we could finish and i was sent to another job so i dont know what the outcome was from that

I don't think that will affect the emf's.

electricalperson

Dennis Alwon said:
I don't think that will affect the emf's.
me neither. i think it was justa way to make money since we used 3/4" 10 foot copper clad ground rods with threaded ends. i dont know the cost of them but if i had to guess they were a lot more money than a standard galvanized 8 foot rod

76nemo

electricalperson said:
ive done a service call for a person that wanted all the romex in his basement replaced because he said he could feel the emf off of the cables. he even had a gaussmeter

Almost every time I visit this forum, I say, "I thought I heard it all until now". Wrong every time!

Status
Not open for further replies.