EMI reduction from conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

There are loads of articles from varied steel organizations about the benefits of steel based conduit (RMC, EMT and IMC) for EMI reduction.
I have a situation where the three phase circuit will be installed phase isolated (one phase per conduit), so I must use a non-magnetic raceway. Any suggestions?
I'm considering aluminum.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
ron said:
There are loads of articles from varied steel organizations about the benefits of steel based conduit (RMC, EMT and IMC) for EMI reduction.
I have a situation where the three phase circuit will be installed phase isolated (one phase per conduit), so I must use a non-magnetic raceway. Any suggestions?
I'm considering aluminum.

is this code compliant?

mhulbert

What about Fiberglass Conduit?

Don't forget to slot between all your conduit terminations everytime you go into an enclosure, or use a plastic plate.

Why does it have to be phase isolated? Seems like it will incur a lot of extra work and expense?

Mike

Smart $

Esteemed Member
robbietan said:
I have seen metal conduits but they dont do much against EMF. Specially when large amounts of current pass through the conductors
Perhaps he's meaning RF EMI (radio-frequency electromagnetic interference, or RFI, for short). It's still EMF but substantially higher frequencies are included in the discussion...

ron

Roger,
I wish I understood what you mean. Sounds like you know something I need.

The reason for the phase isolation is that this run is (6) occurrences of 8 sets of 500kCMIL feeders. It originates on the secondary of (6) transformers and terminates approximately 10 feet away through an exterior wall of a building in (6) switches. The clients requirement for this 10 feet of travel is that it be concrete encased.
Rather than phase grouping on the transformer side (source), then ungrouping to land on the switches, the installer wants to keep the phases isolated to ease the work load.

The other downside of phase isolation is the support of the conduit bank during its travel. There cannot be magnetic rebar or supports due to the resulting inductive heating.

I'm just trying to consider the possibilities before telling the guy to get lost. There seems to be some significant cost savings in doing this phase isolated.

Ron
If you are installing "isolated" phase conductors, my understanding is these are to be installed underground [300.3(B)Exception]. I am not sure if your installation is following this requirement...if it is, what is the EMF concern for?

If you are not installing it underground, how are you proposing the installation?

ron

Pierre,
You will know what I mean when I say that the client in this case is Con Ed (due to his offices in NY). They do not follow the NEC in their network protector vaults.:roll:

Their network protector vault in this case is remote from the sidewalk transformer installation.

I'm trying to protect the communications circuits in the area where the conduit banks will be near.

Last edited:

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Okay, so your concern is low frequency EMF, generated by the current flowing in the conductors. This is about the magnetic field produced by 60Hz current flow, not high frequency radiated EMI.

I'm rambling with theory here, don't expect practical solutions, unless something that I say triggers a practical thought on your part:

The only thing that gets rid of the EMF is having balance current returning in the opposite direction. The closer the phases are together, the better the balance, and the less the EMF.

In a balanced circuit situation, the net current flow of the conductor bundle is zero. There is no net flux coming out of the bundle. There is some flux produced _between_ the conductors. A steel conduit will actually _increase_ this flux, because it is lowering the reluctance of the magnetic path around the individual conductors; we see this in the difference in reactance of circuits in steel rather than non-magnetic conduit. However the steel conduit is also acting to 'short circuit' any flux which escapes the bundle of conductors, so we don't see magnetic flux on the outside of the pipe.

When you have isolated phases, you don't have balanced current in your pipes, the steel conduit acts as the core of a transformer, increasing the flux produced by the individual conductors. The steel will neither increase no decrease the flux seen on the outside of the conduit, with one exception: the increased flux around each conductor will mean increased induced voltage in the region of the conductor, and thus current flowing through the steel itself. This current flow in the conduit will act to balance the current flow in the phase conductors, thus reducing the net current and thus the net magnetic flux.

If you use aluminium conduit for isolated phases, you will have no shielding effect from the conduit, and no change in flux produced. Again, any current induced to flow in the aluminium conduit will tend to reduce the net current and the net flux.

In fact, if the conduit were a 'superconductor', then the current flowing in the conduit itself, induced by the magnetic field produced by the isolated phases, would entirely eliminate any external magnetic fields.

If you provide conductors of sufficient ampacity in your steel conduit, arranged as 'shorted turns' between your various parasitic transformers, then the current flow in these shorted turns will act to reduce the net flux. Lots more copper than the original installation, but you could use steel and isolated phases, and not have much external flux :)

Steel that is not _between_ the conductors will not be subject to significant inductive heating. The worry is large current loops parallel to the phase conductors. I do not believe that steel that surrounds the _entire_ set of phase conductors will be an issue. I don't think that you will have a problem with rebar that wraps around the duct, though rebar that runs in the direction of the individual conduits and next to the conduit may be a problem.

I suppose that you could wrap the entire duct bank in a steel shell, enclosing all of the conductors and the current loops. This would provide shielding for the EMF and be outside of the region where you would have significant inductive heating. This shell need not be structural, and possibly not even continuous; dense re-bar on the outside of the duct, combined with non-metallic conduit for the conductors of the duct itself might provide the necessary shielding, not have inductive heating, and permit isolated phases.

-Jon

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So these conduits are between the network protector vault and the transformers located outside of the building and they're about 10' long?

Ron
Not to be a pest, but I thought that Con Edison was shying away from the Isolated Phase installations. Have you contacted them to see if they will permit this type of installation for their service?
I am curious to know what they say...

P.S. If installed, how long is the run? How close to the "area"/conductors is this location? Will it even be close enough to be of concern.

Last edited:
Ron
All of the raceways will be nonmetallic.
All of the fittings will be nometallic, including the locknuts.
As you come up into the switchgear, hopefully it will be an open bottom unit, otherwise you may need to cut slots between the the entry of the PVC raceways.
The raceways will be installed underground.

I have installed Isolated phase services in the past, terminating them is much easier than the standard type of installation, especially when one has multiple sets.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Ron,
The aluminum will not heat in this application, but I also won't provided a reduction in EMI field. There has been some studies done on using a steel plate above undergound power lines to contain the EMI field.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.