Employee status in California? Contractor incorporated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
In Ca all employees working for C-10 electrical contractors are required to be certified by the State in order to work.
IT is my understanding that the IRS considers Working officers of Corperation to be employees.

Now is the C-10 electrical license holder considered an employee?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
yea I know the IRS rules. It is pretty clear. However I don't think it applies to Ca per se.

growler

In Ca all employees working for C-10 electrical contractors are required to be certified by the State in order to work.
IT is my understanding that the IRS considers Working officers of Corperation to be employees.

All employees of a C-10 electrical contractor? Or employees doing electrical work?

Why would a secretary need to be certified?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
That's a very interesting question. If you have a corprate license then you are not the license holder as the license belongs to the corporation and can be sold along with the business, I believe. I would suggest contacting the CSLB and see what they have to say.

mkgrady

I would think any employee of a C-10 contractor doing electrical work would need to be certified. I doubt the truck driver or the bookkeeper or any other employee not doing electrical work needs to be certified.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

maybe to the eyes of the IRS but to the eyes of DIR (department of industrial relations) , the holder of the C10 is not required to be a certified journeyman. However, if you are a C10 license holder but work as an employee for another C-10 then you need to have a journeyman license. It doesn't make any sense but it is California. :happysad::blink:

http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ECU_FAQ.htm

I have a C-10 license; do I have to be certified?No, sole owners who have a license in their own name need not be certified.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I would think any employee of a C-10 contractor doing electrical work would need to be certified. I doubt the truck driver or the bookkeeper or any other employee not doing electrical work needs to be certified.

In a short answer, who is required to be certified?All electricians who make connections of greater than 100 volt amps who work for C-10 Contractors.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
In a short answer, who is required to be certified?All electricians who make connections of greater than 100 volt amps who work for C-10 Contractors.

interesting.... 100 watts?
so i can make connections of less than 100 watts
without certification and training?

what if the circuit is turned off i'm not making connections
of any watts at the time i make the connection.

or does this mean that if i make a connection more than 100 watts
by closing a switch, that i need a license?

i am getting cornfused.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
interesting.... 100 watts?
so i can make connections of less than 100 watts
without certification and training?

what if the circuit is turned off i'm not making connections
of any watts at the time i make the connection.

or does this mean that if i make a connection more than 100 watts
by closing a switch, that i need a license?

i am getting cornfused.

i assume they meant to say 100 volts. because 100VA doesn't make sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.