Employers must pay for PPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke at a contractor meeting last night and reminded the fellows of the requirement. I spoke about it a few months ago as well. They get mad, but the reality is not to get mad, just try to figure out how to make it work for the company.

DUCKMAN

TY

TY

Thanks for posting this. I was just about to go hunting for it to review the exceptions. I teach OSHA-10 for construction classes, and constantly get asked about this.

scrooge

Information

Information

Pierre C Belarge said:
I spoke at a contractor meeting last night and reminded the fellows of the requirement. I spoke about it a few months ago as well. They get mad, but the reality is not to get mad, just try to figure out how to make it work for the company.
How many mad? Was any unmad?

iwire

Staff member
I know that George S. was buying his own Hard hats at the place he worked.

I was very surprised, where I work we could not bring our own PPE to work, we had to use company supplied and approved PPE.

crossman

iwire said:
I was very surprised, where I work we could not bring our own PPE to work, we had to use company supplied and approved PPE.

Seems the employer would definitely be liable if an injury happened due to the employee-owned PPE being in ill-repair or if it wasn't inspected at proper intervals or such. I am with you Bob. I think most companies would want total control of the PPE.

iwire

Staff member
crossman said:
Seems the employer would definitely be liable if an injury happened due to the employee-owned PPE being in ill-repair or if it wasn't inspected at proper intervals or such.

That was exactly what they told us.

Some guys wanted to wear hats like this..

15256-black.jpg

Yeah it's an ANSI rated Hard hat.

or these

818401.jpg

zog

iwire said:
That was exactly what they told us.

Some guys wanted to wear hats like this..

15256-black.jpg

Yeah it's an ANSI rated Hard hat.

or these

818401.jpg

The cowboy style hat is a class G hard hat, not class E as required for electrical worker to wear. The New England Chokers hat is class E. Nothing wrong with that besides the choice of team :)

Editied to make my smiley face smile

iwire

Staff member
zog said:
The cowboy style hat is a class G hard hat, not class E as required for electrical worker to wear. The New England Chokers hat is class E. Nothing wrong with that besides the choice of team :)

Edited to make my smiley face smile

I'am not into sports so knock yourself out. :)

I don't have to wear a class E unless I am doing work that would require that type of protection. :)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
iwire said:
I know that George S. was buying his own Hard hats at the place he worked.

Since you can buy very servicable safety glasses and hard hats for under $20a set, it should not be much of an issue. Shoes are a different thing, but electricians need to wear shoes anyway, so I would think giving them a $50 shoe allowance would cover that.

Since this might come up in class, I thought I'd ask...

Since this might come up in class, I thought I'd ask...

I know they exist, but I can't figure out when PPE Arc Flash bras and panties would be required by OSHA. Does anyone know when they are required, and if they have boxers and briefs for men?

jflynn

zog said:

Editied to make my smiley face smile

easy-I/am into sports,let it go...:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.