EMT as ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcb250

Is EMT an approved grounding means for 3 stories or less apt building, or do we need a ground conductor in the pipe as well?

Thanks

mc5w

Re: EMT as ground

British rules require a redundant grounding conductor in all occupancies. Here is northeast Ohio the vast majority of our customers require it as a job specification.

If you have ever had to open up a wall and reconnect an EMT joint like I have you would not be asking this question and you would realize why the British require redundant grounding conductors in all occupancies and not just in hospitals.

[ May 07, 2005, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: mc5w ]

bphgravity

Using a raceway or the sheath of a cable for the EGC requires good workmanship and proper fittings in order to be effective. I do like the idea of redundant bonding as it reduces total impedance and provides a fail safe.

pierre

I also am in favor of correct grounding, which sometimes includes redundant grounding, but do not use poor workmanship in any of the equations.
Poor workmanship is not restricted to the couplings/connectors of raceways, or the connection of sheathing for AC, it is also extended to loose connections of equipment grounding conductors, using the incorrect type of termination for equipment ground connections, etc...

So when discussing equipment grounding and EFFECTIVE GROUND FAULT CURRENT PATHS, we should talk about what works and what doesn't work effectively without the discussion of workmanship - that can be a whole other conversation - one that will go on forever.

dereckbc

Staff member

250.118(4) answers your question directly and is the minimum required. Personally I am in favor of a code change to require a EGC to be ran in all circumstances.

james wuebker

I agree with dereckbc. Even if you have good workmanship putting the conduit together there's always someone that can hit it and break it apart at the coupling and you can't see it, which then you have no ground. I've seen this a lot in commerical buildings up in the ceiling. The place might have a forklift putting a box away and by accident they hit the conduit breaking it apart. Of course they didn't see themselves hitting it and now it may no have a ground unless you might have another run of conduit going to the same outlet. I don't like to re-lie on that so I do run a ground conductor with every circuit.
Bye now,
Jim

allenwayne

I remember working in NYC with BX cable the armour was the ground and often did I find loose fittings that arced as I opened a 30 year old fixture :eek: .Have found this senario on gas pipe retro fitted BX and the gas system was still active :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.