emt conduit strapping to a fence, is it legal

Status
Not open for further replies.

1electron

i was asked to replace about 60 fixtures and conduit that is currently mounted to the wood fencing surrounding this condominium site, the fence is old & will soon be replaced with a new wood fence, emt conduit & weatherproof boxes were used but most are rusted & broken, can we replace in the same manner?

ultramegabob

I wouldnt use EMT outside in my area, it doesnt hold up well, if you do, make sure that you use fittings that are designed for being in the weather.

ultramegabob

I wouldnt use EMT outside in my area, it doesnt hold up well, if you do, make sure that you use fittings that are designed for being in the weather. I personally would use PVC and just strap the heck out of it...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You may have a problem with 350.32(B) if you are installing the PVC on the back side of the fence. The fence support posts are normally spaced out more than the 3' maximum between supports for PVC.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Understanding that it may be cost prohibitive, but, having seen this installed countless ways over these many years, the ONLY jobs I've seen that stood up over the years with 0 damage have been rigid conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.