EMT Conduit Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year to everyone. I'd thought I'd start the New Year by participating in this forum. I have learned a lot from all the members postings here and I'm grateful.

This might be easy for some of you old hands but as a noobie I've been racking my head as to what's the quickest and cost efficient way to support the following two applications:

1. Commercial installation with a suspended drywall ceiling. What's the best way to support EMT within 3' of a box when we are dropping down to a 4S box that is in between steel joists. The vertical drop of conduit is more than 5 ft and we are coming down with at least two conduits sometimes three. The 4S box is supported by a 512 caddy bracket.

2. Commercial installation with acoustical ceiling. On several occasions we have placed a 4S box just above the metal stud wall to go down to an outlet and to continue to other outlets above wall. I've looked at all hanging and fastening catalogs (caddy, etc. ) to see what's best way to support this box above ceiling. Preferably oriented so that the box would sit on its side if fastened directly on the metal track as opposed to on its back.

Thanks for any input anyone has to offer.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Screw on one of these above the box and attach the EMT with a one hole strap.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

14241658.jpg

@ Rob & @ George

Thanks for your replies. Think I may not have been clear enough. Example 1 is two conduits that are running perpendicular to steel joists at about 16' AFF and supported directly underneath the joists. They both approach a 4S box that is for a ceiling outlet at about 9' AFF. The 4S box is installed using a 512 caddy bracket to the suspended T ceiling. The box also falls in the middle of the joist space above so when the conduits bend down to the box they are about 3' away from nearest joist at point which they turn from horizontal run to a vertical run (assuming joists at 6' on center). The question is what is the best way to install a conduit support for the 3' requirement from the box for the EMT conduit. Bat wings can support a run of conduit horizontally by using tie wires but what is there to support conduit that is dropping down vertically without any structure directly above it? Hope this is clearer.

@Rob - Are you thinking that I'm in a stud cavity for a wall application? If so I'm referring to above ceiling application and not sure where I would screw the bracket to except maybe the box itself.

@George - Hope the above answers the confusion for #1. As far as #2 I know this has been thrown around before in the forums but is it code to screw the box directly to a metal stud on it's side using the holes located closest to the front edge of the box?

Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Situation #1 is usually brought to compliance by using a trapeze or ladder type of support system made of rod and strut or lathers channel.

Situation #2, what's wrong with using boxes with "side straps", the kind you'd nail or screw to the side of a wood stud?

Status
Not open for further replies.