EMT Fittings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkim780

Waht would be the advantage & disadvantage for following emt fittings?

1. Die cast vs. Stainless steel
2. Set screw type vs. compression type

Are there any reasons that you have to use stainless steel fittings or compression type fittings?

hurk27

Re: EMT Fittings

1. Stainless steel is used in high corrosive areas that a die cast would not hold up to. IE: acid baths salt storage. But cost allot more and wouldn't be cost effective to use on every job.

2. Two piece compression fittings allow us to install a piece of EMT between two boxes with out removing one. the other reason is the old school required them for concrete. even though a set screw fitting is listed for concrete.
But again the compression fitting will cost more.

So if you want to drive up the cost of a job just use SS compression fittings. :p :roll:

Oh I forgot the last part of your question:
Are there any reasons that you have to use stainless steel fittings or compression type fittings?
As far as SS fittings yes 300.6 requires them and the FPN give's you an idea what kind of enviroments they will be required in.

Eddited to add the last question

[ August 23, 2004, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

jkim780

hurk27/apaulding

Thank you for your response. I am just wondering when you use an emt conduit as a equipment ground conductor, dose it make any difference wheather you use die cast or SS, and set screw or Compression?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

It can make a difference on the type of fitting. Setscrew is reported to be the best. There is a study done by the Univ of Georgia, its in the Soares Book on Grounding, they tested various types of fittings

jkim780

Originally posted by tom baker:
It can make a difference on the type of fitting. Setscrew is reported to be the best. There is a study done by the Univ of Georgia, its in the Soares Book on Grounding, they tested various types of fittings
Tom,

Does the material make a difference too? die cast or stainless steel?

charlie tuna

are you sure you mean stainless steel or actually "steel"? i recently witnessed an electrical fire where a phase to phase fault was surching it's way to find a ground potential. as i looked at the 2 1/2" emt raceway supported by minerallacs i noticed there were no fittings at the joints in the raceway??? pipe and elbows just dangling on the insulated feeder cables. then i looked on the floor and saw puddles of melted metal below each joint location. the fault current flowing through the raceway caused the fittings to melt! the end result was major system damage because the fault could not find a good path to ground to clear the fault! the selection of die cast or steel --- set screw or compression materials is determined by the job's specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.