EMT in industrial facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff43222

I got a call last week from a guy who wants me to install a couple of 240V receptacles at a commercial/industrial facility so he can plug in his ice cream trucks. He also wants a couple of 120V receptacles for block heaters. The receptacles are going to be installed at the end of a loading dock, approximately 50' from where the conduit will exit the outer wall of the building.

My experience is mainly residential, so I'm not up on what rules there are regarding what type of conduit has to be used in this kind of situation. I was thinking of just using EMT, but then I starting thinking that EMT might not be appropriate and that IMC or RMC might be required. Realistically, the area of the run isn't likely to have a lot of activity, so I think the risk of physical damage is small.

kentirwin

Re: EMT in industrial facility

EMT's fine if not subject to extreme conditions. If the ice cream trucks are at a loading dock you may (or may not) have some rain/damp location issues.

We do a lot of work in Car Dealerships and in the service bay areas are usually Class 1 Div 2 spaces, if this is a garage area I would make sure that this space isnt the same. Best bet would be to keep all pipe and Devices above 18". Also keep in mind that you should also have GFCIs in the Garage area.

celtic

I have done that type of work previously for a trucking outfit(hot starts/heater blocks).
EMT will be fine using compression fittings and threaded boxes...it's also been my experience that even a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" RGS is no match for a truck - prepare yourself for callbacks, especially in the winter after the lot/area freezes over and the trucks slide "home".

jeff43222

The receptacles are all going to be located outdoors and exposed to weather. I was planning on using THWN, so that shouldn't be a problem. All pipe and devices would be well above 18", and I'll put GFCIs on the 120V receptacles, along with weatherproof in-use covers.

As far as I know, there is no requirement for GFCI protection on the 240V receptacles. Or am I missing something?

jeff43222

Originally posted by celtic:
I have done that type of work previously for a trucking outfit(hot starts/heater blocks).
EMT will be fine using compression fittings and threaded boxes...it's also been my experience that even a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" RGS is no match for a truck - prepare yourself for callbacks, especially in the winter after the lot/area freezes over and the trucks slide "home".
I don't think that will be an issue. The boxes are all going to be located "up top" on the wall of the loading dock. Any truck that slides home is going to get bisected by the dock long before any part of it comes anywhere near the conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.