EMT outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
I know EMT can be run outdoors with approved fittings but I thought I remember reading somewhere that it must closely follow the building structure. Like it cannot be used, for example to feed a detached structure or outbuilding, or be used to feed a light pole, etc. any thoughts on this? I can’t seem to find it in the Code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tank728

Occupation
Electrician
I believe it is a listing requirement and EMT is not listed for direct burial. I'm assuming you are going underground to get to said detached building.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Maybe you are thinking of "where subject to severe physical damage"?

So I guess you couldn't really do an exposed run between two buildings where it doesn't have the protection of being buried?

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
I know EMT can be run outdoors with approved fittings but I thought I remember reading somewhere that it must closely follow the building structure. Like it cannot be used, for example to feed a detached structure or outbuilding, or be used to feed a light pole, etc. any thoughts on this? I can’t seem to find it in the Code.

Look at SPS 316.358.

SPS 316.358 Uses permitted. This is a department rule in addition to the requirements of 2011 and 2017 NEC 358.12: Electrical metallic tubing may not be used in direct contact with earth, in concrete slabs or floors poured on earth, or in exterior concrete walls below grade.

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
No it’s an existing installation at my new job. It was not buried but run along a concrete curb to a propane refill building. The point is moot because they used set screw couplings and the emt is probably a fish aquarium by now.

I don’t know if it would be considered subject to severe physical damage. I’m thinking I would’ve run rigid.

Also 358.10(B) says it can be buried if it’s approved as suitable for the condition. I’m inferring this means it has some outer protective covering and is specifically listed for direct burial. I don’t think you could use plain old galvanized EMT. They also make aluminum and stainless steel EMT.

mortimer

third party inspector
Occupation
retired
No it’s an existing installation at my new job. It was not buried but run along a concrete curb to a propane refill building. The point is moot because they used set screw couplings and the emt is probably a fish aquarium by now.

I don’t know if it would be considered subject to severe physical damage. I’m thinking I would’ve run rigid.

Also 358.10(B) says it can be buried if it’s approved as suitable for the condition. I’m inferring this means it has some outer protective covering and is specifically listed for direct burial. I don’t think you could use plain old galvanized EMT. They also make aluminum and stainless steel EMT.

That was my point.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector

Look at post #6

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

Article 100 Definitions defines Location, Wet as "unprotected locations exposed to weather."

Rule 300.9 defines the interior of raceways installed above grade in wet locations as wet locations. That says the EMT is a fish aquarium, in your words, regardless of the fittings used.

For that matter, the interior of threaded rigid metal conduit is also "wet" when installed in a wet location. Nothing to be done about it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Agreed. Conductors inside a conduit are located where the conduit is. A conduit does not create a new environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.