EMT used in an 1973 installation underground??

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I had been asked if in 1973 EMT was allowed to be used in an direct burial situation with the pipe used as the bond. The pipe has obviously eroded, and no separate bond wire was pulled inside. The job had supposedly been an engineered and approved method of installation. Anyone with an pre 1975 Electrical Code book??

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
From the 1971 NEC:
1971 NEC
Article 348 -- Electrical Metallic Tubing
348-1. Use. . . . Unless made of a material judged suitable for the condition, or unless corrosion protection approved for the condition is provided, ferrous or nonferrous electrical metallic tubing, elbows, couplings and fittings shall not be installed in concrete or in direct contact with the earth, or in areas subject to severe corrosive influences.

jbelectric777

I think ridgid was allowed but not emt, i hope yer tearn it all out, i dont even think ridgid should be allowed unless its pvc coated, stuff rots bigtime, how many times did ya run into a ridgid pipe broken where it comes out of the concrete? its a mess, ya gotta chip out the concrete and try to thread it unless a threadless connector can be used and then female adaptor to PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.