EMT w/ Coupling

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes I've used them. My recommendation would be for straight pipe like vertical risers they're okay. For anything else like runs with bends I would prefer separate external couplings.

tank728

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks Why would bends make a difference?
You need to think about tightening the couplings after the conduit is bent. You need to be able to access the screws.

Also note bell pipe if installed with the bell facing down in a riser/vertical installation can be fairly water/concrete proof. This can provide a little extra piece of mind when brickies are near our work.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You need to think about tightening the couplings after the conduit is bent. You need to be able to access the screws.

Also note bell pipe if installed with the bell facing down in a riser/vertical installation can be fairly water/concrete proof. This can provide a little extra piece of mind when brickies are near our work.
I'm not following not being able to access the screws after it's bent? How would that happen? What type of bend would not allow access to screws? What psotion would it be in?

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you bend that piece of pipe and the set screws end up 3” away from concrete you won’t be able to get a tool in there to tighten them. Maybe you roll an offset on the ceiling but the set screws end up in the corner where the wall and ceiling meet.

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We like everything to be neat and uniform, i bet if you send out a bunch of 4” emt with the couplings built in, your guys are going to waste a lot of time on layout trying to get the couplings to line up. But like infinity said, a straight shot would probably be quicker.