Enclosure fan for Class 1 Div. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesrw

I have a control panel in a Class 1 Div 2 area that needs a cooling fan installed inside. 501.125(B) states " the installation of open or nonexplosionproof enclosed motors, such as squirrel cage induction motors without brushes, switching mechanisms, or similar arc producing devices that are not identified for use in a Class 1 Div 2 location, shall be permitted". I am not having any luck with the technical specs of different fans as to what type of motors they are using. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks.
Jim

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
This is a tough one to explain to even otherwise experienced electricians and engineers.

Essentially, motors are not required to be specifically listed or labeled for Class I, Division 2 applications. Many ?general purpose? motors are quite suitable; nevertheless not all are. Since it is not part a listing requirement, most manufacturers will not tell a user that their product is suitable or not for Class I, Division 2.

This leaves it up to the AHJ to determine the suitability. In general, most three-phase motors of standard NEMA design are suitable, most single-phase motors are not. Unfortunately, the process of selection beyond that initial generality can be extremely complicated. It takes someone familiar both with a specific motor?s design and Hazardous Locations to make the ultimate selection.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think the bottom line is that a cooling fan for use inside a control panel is unlikely to be suitable.

OTOH, no reason you cannot just pressurize the whole panel and make the inside of the panel non-hazardous and not have to worry about it. Might end up not even needing a fan anymore.

But, air is an expensive commodity.

One thing that some people have done is put the fan in a non-hazardous area and run duct work to the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.