Enclosure Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Hayes

I read a grounding specification as follows:

All grounding needs to be tied together at just one point, IE The Enclosure metal shall not be part of the equipment grounding conductor.

I can make sense of tying together at one point but I am having trouble with the following: IE The Enclosure metal shall not be part of the equipment grounding conductor.

raider1

Staff member
What is this specification a part of?

Metal enclosures for electrical equipment must be grounded and bonded. This by default will make the enclosures part of the equipment grounding conductor.

Chris

ibew441dc

All grounding needs to be tied together at just one point, IE The Enclosure metal shall not be part of the equipment grounding conductor.

I can make sense of tying together at one point but I am having trouble with the following: IE The Enclosure metal shall not be part of the equipment grounding conductor.

Short Answer......

They want you to install an EGC of the wire type. (side note- But do not isolate electrical equipment that is likely to become energized....make sure it is all bonded together. )

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would agree with Daniel. Sounds like spects that require ground bars and equipmet grouning conductors (wires) throughout the system.
Not a Code requirement.

raider1

Staff member
I would agree with Daniel. Sounds like spects that require ground bars and equipmet grouning conductors (wires) throughout the system.
Not a Code requirement.

If that is indeed the intent of the spec, then the way the spec is worded it is very poor at best.

Chris

ibew441dc

If that is indeed the intent of the spec, then the way the spec is worded it is very poor at best.

Chris

Agreed.......I have encountered similar specs, sometimes having to educate the "powers that be" of the dangers involved and code requirement . Don't take it for granted that an Engineer is going to understand the intent of the NEC, and/or follow it for that matter(typically they have the most influence in 16000).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Thery are just trying to say it needs to be a seperate EGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.