enclosure purging system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mploeger

I was wondering what classes of locations are considered most hazardous and which ones are the least hazardous. I have a industrial control panel and I am using a purging system to pressurize the enclosure. The enclosure is in a Class 1 Div 2 location. I was wondering if I could use a Class 2 purging system. Can anyone help me with this?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Use a Z-purge, thats what i'm doing in the same situation.
This would be my recommendation too. Please allow me to elaborate. "Type Z" is a reference to a form of purging/pressurizing described in NFPA 496. It is a recognized NEC Section 500.7(D) protection technique and defined in Section 500.2. Section 500.2 definition Purged and Pressurized also references NFPA 496 in the FPN.

I was wondering what classes of locations are considered most hazardous and which ones are the least hazardous. I have a industrial control panel and I am using a purging system to pressurize the enclosure. The enclosure is in a Class 1 Div 2 location. I was wondering if I could use a Class 2 purging system. Can anyone help me with this?
...and just to be sure there is no such a thing as Class 2 purge.

Status
Not open for further replies.