Enclosure vents and arc flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZElectrical

I am working on a project where new 480V switchgear was recently installed. The gear is in a controlled-access area, and would only be operated/serviced by qualified personnel. Some sections have vents on the front, where personnel would stand, and I have been asked by people in the safety department if this construction method meets requirements for arc flash protection. I do not know what the answer is, hence this post. Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, how did you address it?

Thanks

zog

I am working on a project where new 480V switchgear was recently installed. The gear is in a controlled-access area, and would only be operated/serviced by qualified personnel. Some sections have vents on the front, where personnel would stand, and I have been asked by people in the safety department if this construction method meets requirements for arc flash protection. I do not know what the answer is, hence this post. Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, how did you address it?

Thanks

Unless the gear is an arc rated enclosure it is not designed to contain an arc flash, vents or no vents.

big john

While I agree the gear offers no inherent arc-flash protection, if it was installed properly, operated under designed load conditions, and maintained correctly, the equipment will not create any flash hazard to begin with.

See Informational Note 1 under the definition of "Arc Flash Hazard" and Note 2 under 130.7(A) in 70E.

Status
Not open for further replies.