energized bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLuna

I'm not sure if this it the right forum to ask this type of question, but here goes. I work for a major electric utility. From time to time we are asked to "slip" and/or cut energized 138kv bus. Sometimes its 2" or 4" tubular aluminum pipe. I'm just looking for some direction or maybe by chance someone that frequents this forum has done this type of work. Any thoughts or directions would be greatly appreciated.

bphgravity

Re: energized bus

I would hope your company would provide comprehensive training for this type of work?

Can you describe the process and why this work is being done? :confused:

charlie

Live line work is common with most electric utilities. However, most of them stay away from working that voltage while it is hot.

DLuna

cutting bus

cutting bus

We have been using hotstick methods for years. Sometimes to remove bolted connections, be it bus or wire. When its a tubular bus, the construction of our 138 operating bus would incorporate bolted splices. These would enable us to de-enrgize a certain portion of the operating bus if we needed to work on a switch, etc. In this day and age of deregulation and entities such as ERCOT,the operators/controllers of the grid here in Texas, such work is becoming all too common and necessary.
All of the newer construction is welded connections. As far as cutting the bus, we use a battery powered Dewalt reciprocating saw attached to the end of a hot stick. And 3 men with bus clamps supporting the bus being cut.Another drawback is the installation of 795ACSR inside the bus thats used as a damper. As you can see we have some issues to contend with.
Thanks for the responses. I had always been curious if there was anyone out there that knew or even had heard of this .I'm just trying to do some investigating and maybe get more information . Thanks........

Status
Not open for further replies.