Energized Electrical Work Permit

Dan Bell

Occupation
Electrical Supervisor
Scenario
Qualified electrician called to troubleshoot a MCC Bucket within an MCC controlling a Process. Per 70E he puts on proper Arc Flash PPE, turns the disconnect
bucket handle to the "OFF" position, opens the door and uses a DMM to determine that the disconnect within this bucket is in the "OPEN" position. Verifying that there is no voltage on the components of the bucket. Questions #1 Can the Electrician take the ARC Flash PPE off at this point, is this a confirmed "ESWC".
Question #2 per the 70E is an "Energized Electrical Work Permit" required before performing the work mentioned above?

kwired

Electron manager
I would guess most places you don't need hot work permit to check that there is no voltage, though you still need to wear proper PPE until you have verified it is not energized.

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If the ONLY "work" is testing for the absence of voltage, NFPA 70E does not require an energized work permit.

However, even with the disconnect open, there is still voltage on the line side of the disconnect or breaker, so (IMO), PPE is required due to exposed live parts.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Every place I worked at would require you to keep the PPE on unless the bucket has been racked off the MCC bus.

Dan Bell

Occupation
Electrical Supervisor
Yes Voltage is still present and I agree you should keep PPE on but the Line side should be guarded in most cases. The fact that it is guarded and not exposed is the only reason that we could argue not having an permit.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Usually if voltage is still present in the enclosure, PPE is still required. In industrial applications, an external disconnect is often installed to reduce the need of PPE when working on control cabinets. I had one customer install disconnects external of all conveyor control cabinets.