Energized Work permit required??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres been a debate over the NFPA 70E about when an energize work permit is required. I know one is NOT required when doing testing/trouble shooting etc..

However in some of the work our guys been doing (preventive maintanance on control contactors , breakers ect..) If one has to retorque the lugs on the breakers or contactors are live, then isnt that considered 'hot work' and a permit is required??

richxtlc

My first question is why is anyone working on a live contactor for other then testing and troubleshooting? The only reasons to work live is it is part of a continuous process that cannot be shutdown or it is safer to do the work live then to de-energize the circuit. So unless you fall in these areas then the answer is to work on the circuits de-energized.

raider1

Staff member
I have moved this thread to the safety forum.

To work on a live contactor have you got justification to work live in accordance with 130.1(A)?

I am having a hard time seeing where there is justification for re-torquing energized lugs on breakers or contactors.

Chris

This panel is feeding the critical care (hospital), and as for the contactors, I can see them turning off just that bucket/breaker in the mcc center so they can 'tighten' the the screws etc.. but the line side of the breaker is still hot even though it is covered with a shield. However they have to have it on to take amp readings , voltage testing etc.. Also They woud not turn off the whole center as it would affect alot of areas (other fans pumps etc..) of critical care.

So my question is this, do you need an energized work permit when you have to have it on (some panels) to torque/tighten screws??. Do you need one for the mcc center even though the breaker is off for that bucket but the line side is still hot (this would be a technicality but I still say according to the NFPA 70E the answer is yes) . I say you do, but others say you dont. Also just for the record, I belive through proper scheduling the panels can be turned off for the critical care areas for a short period of time, but others dont want to go that route.

raider1

Staff member
I would say that you would need to have a hot work permit to tighten and re-torque energized terminals.

130.1(B)(3) in the 2009 70E gives us some exemptions for having a hot work permit. Work such as testing, troubleshooting, voltage measuring and visual inspection don't require a hot work permit. I don't see torquing and tighting screws as similar to any of the above funtions.

Chris

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I can't see a justification that would permit you to work on the energized terminals, even in a hospital, without violating the OSHA rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.