energy dective devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking into installing these energy detectives by TED. They monitor electricity being used by the consumer . The signal is sent into a branch circuit line either 120 volt or 240 volt to a receiver that plugs into a receptacle by your computer. The receiver sends the data out to a router then to your computer in junction with Google power meter application or their new program. They require their transmitter with 18 gauge wire to be piggy backed on 2 pole 15a, 20a or 30 amp circuit breakers. Is this a direct code violation?

authority

authority

The y have a disclaimer leaving it vague, the authority having jurisdiction. The conductor they supply 18 gauge piggy backed on a 14awg, 12 awg or 10 awg. This seems to violate the terminals listed for two terminations and piggy backing a smaller conductor circumference to a larger circumference. I installed one on a 30 amp circuit breaker with # 8 conductors. I wound the conductors on to the terminals. Liability wise a tap device installed in a panel with 18 gauge on a 30 amp device makes me wonder if this is another Chinese engineering flaw making the installer the step child.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Check out the specs for the breaker. I don't know of any household breaker that is listed for wire smaller than #14.

If I were an inspector, that is what I would be the most concerned with. I would not allow a #18 on a breaker unless the breaker stated it was designed to accommodate such a small conductor.

Another concern is the location of the device. What are the requirements for placing devices inside service panels? Are you sure there is adequate room to still maintain the fill requirements after the device is installed? Have you ever noticed that whole house surge protectors are designed to be on the outside of the panel? Methinks this should be as well, but it is not. Now you have to make some calculations and count lots of wires. Good luck.

I note that the CTs are on the line side of the main breaker. Are you installing them with the meter in place? If so, that constitutes live work in my book. Also, max PPE. What if one of the feeders popped loose and grounded out while you were putting a CT on? Do you have any idea of the arc flash that will be produced? It is not uncommon for line side conductors to be protected at thousands of amps.

My vote is two thumbs down for this one.

Last edited:

Volta

They require their transmitter with 18 gauge wire to be piggy backed on 2 pole 15a, 20a or 30 amp circuit breakers. Is this a direct code violation?
Do they actually require this to be 'piggy-backed'?
The y have a disclaimer leaving it vague, the authority having jurisdiction. The conductor they supply 18 gauge piggy backed on a 14awg, 12 awg or 10 awg. This seems to violate the terminals listed for two terminations and piggy backing a smaller conductor circumference to a larger circumference.
Agreed.
I wound the conductors on to the terminals.
:confused:
Liability wise a tap device installed in a panel with 18 gauge on a 30 amp device makes me wonder if this is another Chinese engineering flaw making the installer the step child.
The tap OCP may be justified by 240.5(B)(1) (assuming this appliance is listed).

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
They require their transmitter with 18 gauge wire to be piggy backed on 2 pole 15a, 20a or 30 amp circuit breakers. Is this a direct code violation?

The leads are16awg TEW 105c and the unit is ETL/US listed. See page 9 of the instruction manual.

"D) Connect the black wire from the MTU to a spare 15 or 20-A circuit breaker in the panel."

Status
Not open for further replies.