Energy Saving Fluorescent Minimum Start Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I was amazed today to learn that the ubiquitous 48 inch T12 energy saving lamp has a minimum start temperature of 60?F and must be sheltered from drafts even at that temperature.
Watt-Miser ? , Watt-Miser ? Plus, F28T8/UMX and Energy Efficient (/EE) lamps are intended for use where ambient temperatures are 60 F (16 C) or higher and where the lamp surface is protected from strong air drafts. Failure to protect the lamp surface may result in reduced life, poor starting or erratic operation, such as flickering or spiraling. All T12 Watt-Miser ? lamps are intended for use on two-lamp, indoor, lead, high power factor ballasts and are not recommended for use with dimming or reduced current systems. The use of T12 Watt-Miser ? lamps on single lamp ballasts may shorten lamp life. T12 Rapid Start Watt-Miser ? lamps are intended for use only with Rapid Start Ballasts. F40 Rapid Start Watt-Miser ? lamps on high frequency electronic systems may display erratic starting before end of life. T8 Watt-Miser ? lamps are intended for use only with instant start ballasts. F28T8/UMX lamps are designed for use on UltraMax ballasts.
Is this a further nail in the coffin of an "old" technology?

physis

Re: Energy Saving Fluorescent Minimum Start Temps

Makes for a conflict of interest with energy codes. :D

But I'm not buying it though. I don't know of a single story to corroberate the notion that a T-12 wont start at, well, most temperatures.

But then I didn't read the Watt Miser stuff you posted there.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by physis:
But I'm not buying it though. I don't know of a single story to corroberate the notion that a T-12 wont start at, well, most temperatures.
Sam how cold does it get in San Francisco Bay Area? :D

I can tell you fluorescents used in cold areas do not like starting at below say 40 F.

The older magnetic ballast usually say 50 F as the minimum starting temp and the newer electronic usually say 0 F minimum starting temp but at that temp they do not come up to full brightness for quite a few minutes.

physis

It's snowed here. We have some pretty harsh weather sometimes. :D

What I mean to say it ain't no where near 60? F. That's just silly.

And what are you doing up? Are you on ballast detail again?

iwire

Staff member

And what are you doing up? Are you on ballast detail again?
No but after two weeks of nights I am still not back to normal.

Actually I got to tell you I am now on Ozzfest detail. :cool:

Later today I should get to see Ozzy and Black Sabbath do a run through of their show while I am running feeds to video screens.

iwire

Staff member

I'd get fired cause I'd be like "dudes, just a few riffs and I'll leave you alone for the rest of the day". :D
LMAO, :D

Yesterday the guitar techs where having fun playing to the empty 20,000 seat shed through the massive PA. I was up in the trusses above the audiance area and my clothes where vibrating from the sound system.

They have time to goof around as Ozzfest rented the space for 5 days to get ready for the first show on the tour Friday.

physis

So I guess when you screamed "HEY, TURN THAT $$$$ DOWN, I'M TRYING TO TAKE A NAP UP HERE" they didn't even hear you. :D

iwire

Staff member

So I guess when you screamed "HEY, TURN THAT $$$$ DOWN, I'M TRYING TO TAKE A NAP UP HERE" they didn't even hear you. :D
I would be the last guy to say turn it down but I could not hear myself if I yelled. :D

There is no napping, four - 30 amp 3 phase 4 wire circuits to two different locations through about 700' of EMT.

My first look at the job was Monday and I have to have power on by this afternoon. ;) )

[ July 13, 2005, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

physis

What do they do, take that stuff out and throw it away after the show?

Edit: I apologise for Wayne waking you up but I'm afraid I have to go to bed now. Good morning Mr. Badger. :cool:

[ July 13, 2005, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

iwire

Staff member

What do they do, take that stuff out and throw it away after the show?
That was my question also when I first got the message Friday that I was doing this.

It turned out the facility is replacing two existing rear projection screens with new 15' x 12' LED flat screens. "To enhance the lawn seat experience"

They are doing it now while they have 5 days with no shows.

The rear projectors run on one 20 amp 120 circuit, the new LED screens use 45 amps each divided up between two 30 amp circuits.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

My experience has been that most fluorescents exhibit swirling when first fired up. I prefer leaving them on for several hours to make sure all the mercury evaporates. Plastic protector sleeves can improve cold-weather performance.

Originally posted by iwire:
30 amp 3 phase 4 wire circuits to two different locations through about 700' of EMT.
Hmmm. I wonder if amplifiers present non-linear loading and require oversized neutrals? ;)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

The quote that I openned this thread with comes from the manufacturer's catalog page for the lamps.

As I read it, it is independent of the ballast start temp.

What I realized was that all the homeowner shop and laundry fluorescents and other DIY luminaires that have trouble that I am asked to fix, will simply be having difficulty because the bulb was replaced not long ago with a "older" energy saver bulb.

Sure the ballast has to be able to support the energy saving lamp, but the bulb itself being that touchy, this was new.

We have cool basements (60-65?F) in a fair number of older homes, and that, coupled with a slight draft, would be enough for the fixtures to exhibit erratic symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.