Engineering Aspects

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
How do is it usually work? Steps.

1. Engineer "engineers" the job from the contract drawings to create "shop" drawings for the field, correct? What is a "CAD" person role?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The engineers create the contract drawings, either directly or by having a "CAD person" draw them. "Shop drawings" can have various meanings from drawings created by the contractor and submitted to the engineer to provide the details of exactly how the contractor is going to comply with some of the aspects of the engineers design, and, at least around here, shop drawings may be the detailed drawings for the equipment and materials the contractor is going to install, and often known as "submittals".

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
The engineers create the contract drawings, either directly or by having a "CAD person" draw them. "Shop drawings" can have various meanings from drawings created by the contractor and submitted to the engineer to provide the details of exactly how the contractor is going to comply with some of the aspects of the engineers design, and, at least around here, shop drawings may be the detailed drawings for the equipment and materials the contractor is going to install, and often known as "submittals".
Thanks. I was referring to engineer/engineering for and electrical contractor.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you are referring to an engineer who is employed by an electrical contracting company, I was in that role once. Along with several "electrical designers" (i.e., not degreed engineers, but very familiar with the electrical design process), most of whom could use CAD (I could not), we created and issued drawings that instructed the electricians on what to install where. We did not call them, "shop drawings," but rather "drawings issued for construction - IFC."

For my designs, I would draw what I wanted by hand on blank paper, and the CAD (Computer-Aided Drafting) person would convert the design to an electronic file. Some of my team members did their own design and CAD drafting work, under my supervision.

Is this what you were asking?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
If you are referring to an engineer who is employed by an electrical contracting company, I was in that role once. Along with several "electrical designers" (i.e., not degreed engineers, but very familiar with the electrical design process), most of whom could use CAD (I could not), we created and issued drawings that instructed the electricians on what to install where. We did not call them, "shop drawings," but rather "drawings issued for construction - IFC."

For my designs, I would draw what I wanted by hand on blank paper, and the CAD (Computer-Aided Drafting) person would convert the design to an electronic file. Some of my team members did their own design and CAD drafting work, under my supervision.

Is this what you were asking?
Exactly and thank you. What would the designers do?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What would the designers do?
They would perform electrical design in the same way that I would. Most of them had been doing this kind of work for many years, and there was much I learned from them. They would also convert design concepts into electronic drawing files (i.e., the CAD work). Not all of our projects required a PE seal and signature. For those that did, I stayed more engaged with the designer's work, so I could certify that I supervised the work..

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
They would perform electrical design in the same way that I would. Most of them had been doing this kind of work for many years, and there was much I learned from them. They would also convert design concepts into electronic drawing files (i.e., the CAD work). Not all of our projects required a PE seal and signature. For those that did, I stayed more engaged with the designer's work, so I could certify that I supervised the work..
Thanks Charlie

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
How do is it usually work? Steps.

1. Engineer "engineers" the job from the contract drawings to create "shop" drawings for the field, correct? What is a "CAD" person role?
This really depends on the size of your shop and how compartmentalized your work flow is. At the top level, the engineer is responsible for the final product as delivered to the customer. He makes sure that the contract requirements are incorporated into the product and that all the specified products conform to the contract specifications. If there are several different ways to get from point "A" to point "B", he picks the one that, in his professional judgement, provides the client with the most cost-effective option that meets the minimum requirements. The CAD person will set up the sheet sets, including plan, elevation, detail and riser sheets, creates the title block, and sets up the backgrounds for all the CAD elements such as walls, doors, etc. S/he creates the layers necessary for the designer to layout his or her work. The designer will, after consulting with the engineer, layout the required elements at their necessary spacing, making sure that, for example, the 240-volt receptacle goes where it's supposed to. S/he will also populate the detail and riser sheets, and work with the designer to add or delete sheets as necessary. After all that, the engineer will review the entire package and make corrections which then go back to either the CAD person or the designer for round 2. Rinse and repeat until everybody is happy. Then the engineer, if necessary, signs and seals the sets which go out to the client.

If this is an A&E firm, you may get the CAD manager in for a review, and discipline lead engineers if you have more than one engineering discipline involved.