Enphase Radius Power Line Filter (1-Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MOCrocker

Occupation
PV design liaison
I have a job where two PV systems are on the same structure, but feed independent services. Enphase Energy has suggested installing this power line filter on one of them. I have not come across a scenario in the past that has required this part.

Does anyone have experience installing one of these devices?

Attachments

• q-lcf-064-1p-qig (1).pdf
    235.8 KB · Views: 11

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Not that one, but I installed a generic power line filter to separate my Enphase M215s and Envoy from my loads, as some of the loads were creating electric noise that was interfering with the Power Line Communications (PLC) used between the microinverters and the Envoy. Worked like a charm, went from 0 or 1 bars on the Envoy signal strength indicator to full bars.

So in your application, the filter would keep the PLC from the PV system on one service from interfering with the PLC of the PV system on the other nearby service.

Makes you wonder if two neighboring houses share the same utility transformer and both have Enphase systems if a similar filter would also be required.

Cheers, Wayne

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I would think you could avoid the need for it by just provisioning the correct micros to each Envoy using Toolkit. Avoid doing any scans. The filter is a good Plan B.

Electrical Geek

Lead PV Service Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Not that one, but I installed a generic power line filter to separate my Enphase M215s and Envoy from my loads, as some of the loads were creating electric noise that was interfering with the Power Line Communications (PLC) used between the microinverters and the Envoy. Worked like a charm, went from 0 or 1 bars on the Envoy signal strength indicator to full bars.

So in your application, the filter would keep the PLC from the PV system on one service from interfering with the PLC of the PV system on the other nearby service.

Makes you wonder if two neighboring houses share the same utility transformer and both have Enphase systems if a similar filter would also be required.

Cheers, Wayne
Sometimes it's needed.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The filter keeps any cross talk from occurring between the two envoys and the microinverters associated with them.
Yeah but in my experience you can do that by just provisioning the correct micros to each Envoy. In the old days it was a pain because we provisioned by scanning and when the 2nd Envoy was installed it would pickup. The micros belonging to the 1st Envoy, unless you turned them off, or deleted them later (which was quite cumbersome in the old Envoy local web interface). But nowadays you can scan your array map serial numbers into Installer Toolkit and provision them correctly without scanning. That should work without an expensive line filter. I don't know why the Enphase tech told you that you'd need a line filter here. Perhaps it's a good plan B if comms are bad but otherwise I don't get it.

BackCountry

Electrician
Occupation
Licensed Electrician and General Contractor
I have a job where two PV systems are on the same structure, but feed independent services. Enphase Energy has suggested installing this power line filter on one of them. I have not come across a scenario in the past that has required this part.

Does anyone have experience installing one of these devices?

The concern is storage, any storage with IQ8’s on this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.