EPB for hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

OK Sparky 93

Occupation
Electrician
Instead of being in the middle of, which has already happened, I suppose it better to start another similar thread. With a different title.
Am I understanding or not?

Permanent spas or pools.
So 680.26 equipotential bonding
(A) performance. We can agree on
(1) conductive pools
Manufactured tub is not
(2) perimeter surfaces
First sentence says shall include unpaved surfaces and other types of paving.
Last sentence says for no conductive pool shells bonding at four points shall not be required.

At this point, I don’t think anything needs to be done for a manufactured listed hot tub.

(3) metallic components
Don’t think we have that issue
(4) underwater lighting
Most likely not
(5) metal fittings
Maybe if built in to the ground. But we have a manufactured listed unit. Mess with it or modify it and bye bye listing.
(6) electrical equipment - I believe everything is bonded at the factory, which is satisfied via EGC
(7) Fixed metal parts - this might be the real concern and we are allowed a few exceptions.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
680.42(B) determines whether or not you need to bond a tub.

680.42(B) Bonding.

Bonding by metal-to-metal mounting on a common frame or base shall be permitted. The metal bands or hoops used to secure wooden staves shall not be required to be bonded as required in 680.26.
Equipotential bonding of perimeter surfaces in accordance with 680.26(B)(2) shall not be required to be provided for spas and hot tubs where all of the following conditions apply:
  • (1)
    The spa or hot tub shall be listed, labeled, and identified as a self-contained spa for aboveground use.
  • (2)
    The spa or hot tub shall not be identified as suitable only for indoor use.
  • (3)
    The installation shall be in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and shall be located on or above grade.
  • (4)
    The top rim of the spa or hot tub shall be at least 710 mm (28 in.) above all perimeter surfaces that are within 760 mm (30 in.), measured horizontally from the spa or hot tub. The height of nonconductive external steps for entry to or exit from the self-contained spa shall not be used to reduce or increase this rim height measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.