Equipment Classifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG_1

I am looking for the differences between them and when you would use one as opposed to the other. Panelboards and MCC's are straight forward enough, but what about Switchgear and Switchboards?

templdl

I haven't found that classifications has been the issue but a matter of what is required by the person(s) who write the specifications, that is what features and arrangements that they require.
If one wants the features of a panelboard and not a loadcenter then panelboard specs are used. Of course the pnlbd will have bolt on breakers and is available in a lot more size and options both group mounted and individually mounted. It is a lot more convenient to have all of your motor protection and control located in one enclosure referred to as a motor control center. As such there are specifications written as such.
And they would be built to common industry ANSI, IEEE and NEMA standard where applicable and then UL listed. On the past UL was not available in LV switchgear but now it is common. And then MV swgr followed.
Switch gear is just a generic term that often refers to group mounted LV and MV breakers in a common series of enclosures similar to an MCC.
Then the specification can include details that a unique to a specific manufacture.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A lot of it has to do with how something is used as much as anything else.

I have seen MCCs that do not have a single motor starter in them but do have dozens of feeder breakers and several panelboards in them. Is that really a switchboard? Or is it an MCC because AB says it is.

kwired

Electron manager
Art 100 definitions:

Panelboard. A single panel or group of panel units designed for assembly in the form of a single panel, including buses and automatic overcurrent devices, and equipped with or without switches for the control of light, heat, or power circuits; designed to be placed in a cabinet or cutout box placed in or against a wall, partition, or other support; and accessible only from the front.

Switchboard. A large single panel, frame, or assembly of panels on which are mounted on the face, back, or both, switches, overcurrent and other protective devices, buses, and usually instruments. Switchboards are generally accessible from the rear as well as from the front and are not intended to be installed in cabinets.

Motor Control Center. An assembly of one or more enclosed sections having a common power bus and principally containing motor control units.

I would say a MCC is a switchboard that primarily contains motor control units.

Switchgear does not appear in 100. Isn't is a generic term that applies to all three of the others?

Status
Not open for further replies.