equipment disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahabel

For years I have used a plug and receptacle for machine shop style equipment to function as my means of disconnect with in sight. I am being asked to locate the code article by a safety indpector to justify our actions. I am haveing trouble locating the article that is pertinent. Any thoughts.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: equipment disconnect

It may be stretching the Article 100 definition of ?appliance,? particularly on the meaning of the phrase, ?generally other than industrial,? but try this on for size:

422.33 Disconnection of Cord-and-Plug-Connected Appliances.
(A) Separable Connector or an Attachment Plug and Receptacle. For cord-and-plug-connected appliances, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means. Where the separable connector or plug and receptacle are not accessible, cord-and-plug-connected appliances shall be provided with disconnecting means in accordance with 422.31.

But there is also,

430.109 (Motor, disconnecting means, type)
(F) Cord-and-Plug-Connected Motors. For a cord-and-plug-connected motor, a horsepower-rated attachment plug and receptacle having ratings no less than the motor ratings shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means for other than a Design E motor and for a Design E motor rated 2 hp or less. For a Design E motor rated more than 2 hp, an attachment plug and receptacle used as the disconnecting means shall have a horsepower rating not less than 1.4 times the motor rating. A horsepower-rated attachment plug and receptacle shall not be required for a cord-and-plug-connected appliance in accordance with 422.32, a room air conditioner in accordance with 440.63, or a portable motor rated hp or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.