equipment ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

bark

Ok, Just a quick question. I'm wiring up a 200 amp disconnect that feeds a 200 amp panel 300 ft away. In the disconnect, the neutral bar is small, with no lugs large enough to accept the #2 equipment grounding conductor. I think I can connect to ground bar I installed, with a correct size lug. I want to get some other opinions. Been awhile since I've done this sort of service.

Thanks

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
At the separate structure the grounded conductor has to be isolated from the grounding conductor. They do sell small lugs that has two ears that will accommodate larger conductor.
View attachment 14040 [h=2]Square D Load Center Lug Kit[/h]

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Ok, Just a quick question. I'm wiring up a 200 amp disconnect that feeds a 200 amp panel 300 ft away. In the disconnect, the neutral bar is small, with no lugs large enough to accept the #2 equipment grounding conductor. I think I can connect to ground bar I installed, with a correct size lug. I want to get some other opinions. Been awhile since I've done this sort of service.

Thanks

If this 200A disconnect is your first means of disconnect with overcurrent protection then that's where you bond the neutral, ground, and cabinet. You can get a lug for your ground bar or get a different ground bar. You can put the ground (EGC) on the neutral bar or ground bar here. As long as the two bars are bonded it doesn't matter which bar you put the EGC on.

Now, as was said, the 200A panel is treated as a subpanel and the ground & neutral have to be isolated. So you may have to get a larger lug there too but it has to be on the ground bar that is isolated from the neutral bar.

kwired

Electron manager
The lug pictured works in a panelboard neutral bus, OP said he was originating from a fused disconnect. First question to ask (and has been already) is whether this disconnect is the service disconnect or first disconnect of a separately derived system. Otherwise is pretty likely he can't land the EGC on the neutral anyway.

If it is the first disconnecting means just get an equipment grounding lug/kit that is recommended for that disconnect, and make sure the bonding jumper is installed as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.