Equipment Grounding Conductor Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Wragg

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I increse the conductor size of a 20 amp circuit to allow for voltage drop wouldn't I still use a 12 ga copper equipment grounding conductor? Thanks, Trent

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No, it would need to be the equivelent of the ungrounded
I agree, but I want to stress that only #14-10 wire requires an equal size egc as the ungrounded conductor. 250.122(B) states to increase the egc proportionally. It works out that for #14-10 it is the same as the ungrounded conductor. For #8 and larger the egc increases but it will not be the same as the ungrounded conductor.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Isn't it more correct to say that 15, 20, and 30A circuits have the EGC the same size as the ungrounded conductors? In larger circuits, the EGC is increased the same factor as the ungrounded conductors, but they start smaller so won't be as large.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Isn't it more correct to say that 15, 20, and 30A circuits have the EGC the same size as the ungrounded conductors? In larger circuits, the EGC is increased the same factor as the ungrounded conductors, but they start smaller so won't be as large.
More correct assumes the other statement isn't correct. I would say you said it better.:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.