Equipment Grounding Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
In the spec I am reading it calls to install a equipment grounding conductor for all feeders and branch circuits. If I have a 6 circuit homerun( #10's) there should be 6 hots, 2 neutrals( I have to reference spec) and how many grounds?

Thanks.

tyha

youu would only need one ground unless one of the items you are feeding is an isolated ground recp. Which is highly unlikely that you would not already know if it was. But you need to watch out because if those 6 circuits are MWBC you need 6 neutrals

hillbilly

Not nearly enough information.

Your terminology doesn't sound correct.

You say that this is a "6 circuit homerun"....what exactly is that?

What is the voltage?....breaker sizes?

Do you have a NEC code book?
Read Article 250.

steve

If your asking about NEC: generally, just as you'd only have one metal conduit, (EMT or Rigid metallic), and that can act as the grounding conductor, so you only need to pull one grounding conductor, sized to the largest current carrying conductor. Of course, there are exceptions, such as isolated ground circuits. NEC 250

If you're reading specs on a set of prints or reqs, you should ask the EE or whomever wrote the spec if you're not clear about the requirements.

Edit: I just type too slow!

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
They are 20a lighting circuits 120/208. TYHA what is MWBC?

Thanks guys, I know this is very remedial and you guys probably could make some sarcastic remarks toward my post.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
tyha said:
youu would only need one ground unless one of the items you are feeding is an isolated ground recp. Which is highly unlikely that you would not already know if it was. But you need to watch out because if those 6 circuits are MWBC you need 6 neutrals

Why would 6 circuit need 6 neutrals if they're MWBC's?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I think he was being stupid-clever. Six MWBCs would also be called six full boats, or 3x6 ungrounded and 6 grounded conductors.

I think it's readily evident the OP was asking about two MWBCs, or two "full boats."

Horsegoer, an easy way to think about it is you are preparing for a single circuit (the largest in the conduit) to have a ground fault path at any given moment in time. While two seperate circuits fed from the "A" phase could fault simultaneously, we don't really have to worry about it, it's unlikely. So one EGC is all that's required (sized for the largest conductor in the raceway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.