Equipment mounting and Building Code

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
I am having difficulty finding any specific requirement for materials used as backerboard for mounting inverters, charge controllers, and related power distribution equipment for a commercial hybrid solar system with battery storage. Nothing in NEC as far as i can tell other than 110.13(A) requiring firmly securing the equipment and the workspace rqmts in 100.34. I can't find anything in the International Building Code, or the Ohio Building Code (which is based on the IBC). The equipment will be on a wall in a large (80ft x 80ft) development lab of a nonprofit, and that has an automatic sprinkler system. Can I mount to plybood backer board on the wall? Do I need to put a layer of cement board on top of plywood? Any specific code references are appreciated.

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
I don't think you're going to find that in the building code. I would expect the installation instructions will tell you what's allowed/required. The NEC reference I would point you to is:
100.3 (B) Installation and Use
Equipment that is listed, labeled, or both shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
A room with battery storage or an ESS is probably going to be required to be fire separated from other parts of the building by fire code or residential code. But that doesn't mean you can't put plywood on top of the drywall or other fire separation. As far as 110, yes it applies to all equipment, but from my experience the only type of equipment you mentioned that might say anything about it is, again, the batteries or ESS.

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
I don't think you're going to find that in the building code. I would expect the installation instructions will tell you what's allowed/required. The NEC reference I would point you to is:
100.3 (B) Installation and Use
Equipment that is listed, labeled, or both shall be installed and used in accordance with any instructions included in the listing or labeling.
I am thinking you are right, I cannot find any code requirement for mounting equipment on fire-resistant or fire-retardant backer board. I did look through the installation guide for the Schneider inverter and it does have this note: "Do not install the inverter on a flammable surface. If installing the inverter on a wood surface, ensure that the wood is flame retardant."

So I will use FR plywood. Thanks.

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
A room with battery storage or an ESS is probably going to be required to be fire separated from other parts of the building by fire code or residential code. But that doesn't mean you can't put plywood on top of the drywall or other fire separation. As far as 110, yes it applies to all equipment, but from my experience the only type of equipment you mentioned that might say anything about it is, again, the batteries or ESS.
Thanks for the feedback. After further digging, this is a commercial Type B occupancy building. The 2018 IFC says that rooms containing Energy Storage systems shall be separated from other areas of the building per IBC 509.1, and that battery systems shall be allowed in the same room with equipment it supports. In IBC 509.1 which covers incidental uses, for Type B occupancies, there is no requirement for fire rated separation between rooms containing battery systems and rooms for other incidental uses. This particular building does have an automatic sprinkler but I don't see where that even matters. So I am interpreting this as the battery systems can be in the large lab room with the inverters, and that it must be separate from other rooms, but no fire separation is needed.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Thanks for the feedback. After further digging, this is a commercial Type B occupancy building. The 2018 IFC says that rooms containing Energy Storage systems shall be separated from other areas of the building per IBC 509.1, and that battery systems shall be allowed in the same room with equipment it supports. In IBC 509.1 which covers incidental uses, for Type B occupancies, there is no requirement for fire rated separation between rooms containing battery systems and rooms for other incidental uses. This particular building does have an automatic sprinkler but I don't see where that even matters. So I am interpreting this as the battery systems can be in the large lab room with the inverters, and that it must be separate from other rooms, but no fire separation is needed.
You may be getting lucky here that you're on an older code. Prepare for more stringent rules when they move to the 2021 IFC. There's a whole new section 1207 on this.