Equipment nameplate issue

Diver94

Occupation
Electrical contractor
We have installed electrical service to a new ice cream machine in the vending area of a local school. The electrical specifications given by the manufacturer at time of purchase by the owner required a 15 amp, 240 volt circuit, which we provided. The equipment arrived with a nameplate rating of 2550W @ 120V. The machine came from the factory with a 120V 15amp cord cap, and 14/2WG cord.
Are equipment manufacturers allowed to undersize the cord on their machines? I know the NEMA configuration is wrong, but I am not sure if I need to change the cord as well to correct the issue.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Typically your branch circuit can be sized according to the factory cord and plug on the unit. Something about this seems to be wrong.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
We have installed electrical service to a new ice cream machine in the vending area of a local school. The electrical specifications given by the manufacturer at time of purchase by the owner required a 15 amp, 240 volt circuit, which we provided. The equipment arrived with a nameplate rating of 2550W @ 120V. The machine came from the factory with a 120V 15amp cord cap, and 14/2WG cord.
Are equipment manufacturers allowed to undersize the cord on their machines? I know the NEMA configuration is wrong, but I am not sure if I need to change the cord as well to correct the issue.
IMHO.... The information on the appliance should be followed.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If you provided a 240 vac circuit as specified. And they sent a 120 vac machine you need to bring this to someones attention

Diver94

Occupation
Electrical contractor
The machine is most likely a Chinese unit. The nameplate looks odd, and the language in the unit manual/instructions has multiple grammar issues. I will post the make and model number when I return to the jobsite tomorrow.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The machine is most likely a Chinese unit. The nameplate looks odd, and the language in the unit manual/instructions has multiple grammar issues. I will post the make and model number when I return to the jobsite tomorrow.
First thing I thought too.

I'd also be concerned for it being UL listed, but as the contractor, it's not actually your concern so long as it's plug-in. The school's insurance company might have something to say about it though...

Diver94

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I spoke with the University's electrical shop supervisor about my concerns. He had his men go test the unit and it was drawing 19.5 amps on 120V. There was no UL tag on the unit, so it was confiscated and removed from the site. Last word is they are sending the unit back, and ordering one with a UL listing and a nameplate written in English. I am not popular with the school facility manager, but right is right.

Space

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I spoke with the University's electrical shop supervisor about my concerns. He had his men go test the unit and it was drawing 19.5 amps on 120V. There was no UL tag on the unit, so it was confiscated and removed from the site. Last word is they are sending the unit back, and ordering one with a UL listing and a nameplate written in English. I am not popular with the school facility manager, but right is right.
Job well done friend. If anyone wants to bother you about it, you can point them to 29 CFR 1910.303(a).

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I go to a local small coffee shop every Sunday with friends. The owners wanted to expand their business to attract more families (unfortunately as far as I’m concerned), so they bought a type of Japanese soft serve ice cream machine that also makes “Taiaki”, a fish shaped hollow waffle cone, selling for over $10 per cone! (This shop is in a well to do town…). When the machine arrived, it sat there for months not hooked up, so I asked them why and they said their landlord’s electrician connected it but it trips the breaker and he couldn’t figure it out, so they were waiting (for months) to get a factory technician out there. I looked at it and found the problem, similar to what’s being described here: mislabeled, all in Japanese. I used Google Lens to translate the nameplate; it needed 200V (Japan voltage), instructions said 120V. But I also saw that it had no UL label and I told them to check with their insurance about installing a non-listed machine. Sure enough, the insurance company came back and said they would either cancel them, or at best, add a rider disallowing payment for any damages associated with that machine. I was not appreciated for pointing that out… But they were able to get the vendor to send them a different machine that was UL listed, it just cost them something like $2k more plus freight both ways. It also needed 208V, which they didn’t have, so they had to install a transformer for it. That’s a lot of trouble for an ice cream machine if you ask me… I hardly ever see anyone buying it, but I’m only there in Sunday mornings. Apparently it’s a hit after school on weekdays. So rich kids buying $10+ ice cream cones after school, not something I would have been able to do!

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Seems to happen a lot- somebody gets a great deal on a piece of equipment then ends up spending more to hook it up than they "saved" in the first place. Or they find out that they can't use it at all.
Yep. Internet shopping is facilitating a lot more bad decisions based on price alone. I can’t say I haven’t been temped myself, and I KNOW what the potential risks are.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I posted a nameplate of a griddle a while back. I was asked to provide a 120V, 20A circuit for it before the machine came in. Turns out the griddle needed 30A, 120V. I gave them a price to run the 30A, 120V circuit. They said the machine didn't cost that much and didn't want to pay for the 30A circuit. So, they were equipment shopping by price only!

They said they were going to send it back and get one that would work. I don't know if they did or not as I haven't been back. What scares me is the griddle came with a cord but no plug. They wanted me to add the plug. That's when I discovered it needed 30A. My fear is they got some "jackleg" to add the plug and didn't send it back!

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I posted a nameplate of a griddle a while back. I was asked to provide a 120V, 20A circuit for it before the machine came in. Turns out the griddle needed 30A, 120V. I gave them a price to run the 30A, 120V circuit. They said the machine didn't cost that much and didn't want to pay for the 30A circuit. So, they were equipment shopping by price only!

They said they were going to send it back and get one that would work. I don't know if they did or not as I haven't been back. What scares me is the griddle came with a cord but no plug. They wanted me to add the plug. That's when I discovered it needed 30A. My fear is they got some "jackleg" to add the plug and didn't send it back!
No doubt that’s what happened.