equipment under kitchen cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanetten

I received kitchen equip. plans showing a 50A, 208/120V, 1phase dist. panel under a kitchen cabinet in a commercial kitchen. Is this legal?
I thought sufficient working space access must be provided and maintained around equipment.

The kitchen equip. supplier says he never had a problem.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: equipment under kitchen cabinet

What do you mean by "under a kitchen cabinet"? Starting at the front of the panel, the required clearance is 30 inches of width, 36 inches of height, and 6.5 feet of height. If the cabinet is in that space then it is a violation.

Put it this way: Is the front of the panel going to be closer to the wall than the front of the cabinet, so that the cabinet overhangs the panel? If so, that would be a violation.

If the front of the panel and the front of the cabinet are on the same plane, then it might be ok.

physis

The kitchen equip. supplier says he never had a problem
It's probably true, most electricians would hopefully ignore him and install it correctly anyway.

growler

Is this a pre-wired piece of equipment that is connected by a cord to a 50 Amp. Receptacle? I have seen this and think they try to rate it as equipment rather than part of the building. I may be wrong, I didn't like it anyway. Try working down there when cooks are moving hot soup and grease around in the area and the floor is wet.

vanetten

no it is not a 50A receptacle. It is a panel that comes pre-wired to equipment at the front counter. The kitchen designer just told me that the panel and its location has been installed in several NY kitchen locations before and never had a problem.

I believe its not in a good location for service. I was told by my supervisor to leave it alone because its not part of our design.

Thanks

iwire

Staff member

I agree with Charlie B.

Is the front of the panel going to be closer to the wall than the front of the cabinet, so that the cabinet overhangs the panel? If so, that would be a violation.

If the front of the panel and the front of the cabinet are on the same plane, then it might be ok.

jimwalker

Ask him if it fails inspection will he foot the bill to change it.And if he says yes get it in writing.Willing to bet he won't back his mouth up. :p

physis

That's the other end of the reason why he hasn't had any problems.

[ July 25, 2005, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

growler

jwelectric, I think you have got it. It would have covered the equipment that I saw. It's a prewired piece of equipment and all the electrician does is run power to it. The panel was recessed just enough for a door to keep things weather proof. They spray a lot of water in some areas. If the one this guy saw was at a counter I guess they would not have to worry about that.

iwire

Staff member

Next question.

Is the unit subject to the NEC?

If it is a prewired, listed piece of equipment the NEC may not apply.

Here in MA the AHJ must accept listed equipment no questions asked. (It's one of our amendments.)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I have hooked a number of these type units and they are indeed part of a listed assembly. It is common on "Steam Tables"

We supply this Panel with a feeder and that is where we call it a day. (of couse we check the equipment to make sure it works)

I have also hooked up Hill-Rom headwalls with integral panels mounted horizontal where 50% of the breakers are in violation of 240.81 but are part of a listed piece of equipment.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.