Equipotential bonding for a splash pad ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspector51

I have a splash pad installed with a concrete deck. There are 12 features that shoot water up in the air. The water is supplied from a domestic water line. It goes into a manifold and from there a series of 24VDC solenoids control the flow of the water. The controller is fed from a 120 Volt GFCI protected breaker. The water supply line is 2" copper. Although it is not by definition a pool or a fountain, I believe that 680.26 still applies.

Attachments

• splash pad manifold.jpg
    splash pad manifold.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1
  • splash pad.jpg
    splash pad.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a splash pad installed with a concrete deck. There are 12 features that shoot water up in the air. The water is supplied from a domestic water line. It goes into a manifold and from there a series of 24VDC solenoids control the flow of the water. The controller is fed from a 120 Volt GFCI protected breaker. The water supply line is 2" copper. Although it is not by definition a pool or a fountain, I believe that 680.26 still applies.

Article 680 applies to

swimming, wading, therapeutic, and decorative pools; fountains; hot tubs; spas; and hydromassage bathtubs

If what you are asking about is not one of those things, nothing in article 680 applies to it, including 680.26.

680.26 is found in Part II of this article which only covers swimming pools. Since it is clearly not a pool, 680.26 does not apply.

I would lean toward it being a fountain though and article 680 part V would apply. However, read 680.50 carefully. 680.26 might apply if the water from the fountain drains into a pool, although one could argue they do not share common water since the fountain is supplied via city water.

But, I am not an expert in such things.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Incidentally, does your AHJ require control panels be listed?

Is this control panel listed?

UL508a contains some special requirements for fountain control panels that are in addition to the normal requirements.

kwired

Electron manager
It is definitely not a pool. Might be considered a fountain. 680.26 only applies to pools (permanently installed).

Not being totally immersed changes how severe the hazards may be in a pool vs at a fountain.

Doesn't hurt to comply with 680.26 but not required to either.

Status
Not open for further replies.