Equipotential bonding grid.......Above ground pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

How are you pool guys installing an Equipotential Bonding grid for above ground pools? Got any pictures? Diagrams? This pool in question has a water depth of 48" so I'm seeing it as it must be wired and bonded like a permanently installed pool, right? This is under 2008 NEC. I haven't done pools in years!!!

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
If it is sitting on the ground and not 48" in the air, just put the copper in the ground around the pool like any other pool, just bond it to the metal supports (if there are any).

chevyx92

If it is sitting on the ground and not 48" in the air, just put the copper in the ground around the pool like any other pool, just bond it to the metal supports (if there are any).

Ok does the wire have to be a certain distance from the pool edge in the ground and how deep? 6- 8" ???

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I would accept that, it is all about eliminating "step potential" or voltage gradiants to keep every thing equal.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Do you do pools often? So do I just measure 3 FT off pool edge and install bond wire around pool bonding metals parts at a minimum of 4 evenly spaced points, to the water and to the pump right?

I would accept that, it is all about eliminating "step potential" or voltage gradiants to keep every thing equal.

Afraid I wouldn't (accept) 680.26 calls for the bond grid to be 18 to 24" from the pool wall and
4 tp 6" below subgrade.
Also don't forget to address bonding of the pump, pool water, etc.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
So why does it say 3 ft??

Your pool will not have structural renforcing steel

(2) Perimeter Surfaces. The perimeter surface shall extend for 1 m (3 ft) horizontally beyond the inside walls of the pool and shall include unpaved surfaces, as well as poured concrete surfaces and other types of paving. Perimeter surfaces less than 1 m (3 ft) separated by a permanent wall or building 1.5 m (5 ft) in height or more shall require equipotential bonding on the pool side of the permanent wall or building. Bonding to perimeter surfaces shall be provided as specified in 680.26(B)(2)(a) or (2)(b) and shall be attached to the pool reinforcing steel or copper conductor grid at a minimum of four (4) points uniformly spaced around the perimeter of the pool. For nonconductive pool shells, bonding at four points shall not be required.

(b)
spacer.gif
Alternate Means. Where structural reinforcing steel is not available or is encapsulated in a nonconductive compound, a copper conductor(s) shall be utilized where the following requirements are met: (1)
spacer.gif
At least one minimum 8 AWG bare solid copper conductor shall be provided.

(2)
spacer.gif
The conductors shall follow the contour of the perimeter surface.

(3)
spacer.gif
Only listed splices shall be permitted. See related UL

(4)
spacer.gif
The required conductor shall be 450 mm to 600 mm (18 in. to 24 in.) from the inside walls of the pool.

(5)
spacer.gif
The required conductor shall be secured within or under the perimeter surface 100 mm to 150 mm (4 in. to 6 in.) below the subgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.