Equipotential bonding on swimming pools:

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

Equipotential bonding on swimming pools:

680.26(7) requires bonding of all fixed medal parts around a pool. 680.26(7) makes an exception for metal parts “within or attached to the pool structure less than 4 inches in all dimensions.” Here is my question: Does a light fixture complying NEC 680.22(6) with an exposed brass trim located in the rockwork surrounding pool and within 5 feet of the pool but not “within or attached to the pool” meet the non-bonding requirements.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
First off-- what code cycle? I think before the 2014 you couldn't even have lights in the ground within 5'

680.22(B)(6)(6) Low-Voltage Luminaires. Listed low-voltage luminaires not
requiring grounding, not exceeding the low-voltage contact
limit, and supplied by listed transformers or power supplies
that comply with 680.23(A)(2) shall be permitted to be located
less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside walls of the pool.

wyboy

2017 NEC. Low voltage fixtures are allowed if they meet requirements of NEC 680.22 (B)(3).

JFletcher

Is the light in the ground or in a wall? If it is in a wall, how high is it off the ground?

You might also have a look at 110.3 B... If the manufacturer of these lights says they cannot be installed within 10 foot of the water's edge, that is going to trump anything in 680. I ran across that exact scenario a few years ago with some low voltage landscaping lights that the homeowner wanted about 8 feet out from the pool... Instructions said minimum 10 feet, more restrictive than anything in the code at the time.

wyboy

The light is in a wall about 6” above the deck grade-a step light. The manufacturer says suitable for wet locations-nothing about pool. I believe they are allowed. My question is equipotential bonding. If less that 4” exposed metallic trim does it need bonded?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
2017 NEC. Low voltage fixtures are allowed if they meet requirements of NEC 680.22 (B)(3).

I am not sure that existing lv fixtures are allowed. How does a gfci help with low voltage fixtures? I know the section does not prevent the install but logic does especially with the other section mentioned

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
IMO, all metal parts 5' from the pool need to be bonded so yes, it would need equipotential bonding. Seems silly but if they allow gfci to protect a trany and that does nothing for the load side then IMO, you need to bond it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
(3) Existing Installations. Existing luminaires and lighting
outlets located less than 1.5 m (5 ft) measured horizontally
from the inside walls of a pool shall be not less than 1.5 m
(5 ft) above the surface of the maximum water level, shall be
rigidly attached to the existing structure, and shall be protected
by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

I don't see how that is allowed. You fixture is not 5' above the water level.

JFletcher

I don't have a 2017 NEC in front of me, however the existing installation would have to been up to the code in effect at that time. If this is a low voltage light, less than 15 volts, it may be allowed under the 2017, but was not in earlier code cycles. In that case, it *might* be reverse grandfathered-in (was not code when installed, but now is) I suppose.

Metal parts less than 4 in in any dimension and do not penetrate more than 1" into the pool structure do not need to be bonded to the equipotential Grid, at least by the 2008 NEC.

I cannot find the section at the moment, however I was sure that any such low-voltage lights also had to be fed from a pool or spa rated transformer. Maybe that is just under water...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't have a 2017 NEC in front of me, however the existing installation would have to been up to the code in effect at that time. If this is a low voltage light, less than 15 volts, it may be allowed under the 2017, but was not in earlier code cycles. In that case, it *might* be reverse grandfathered-in (was not code when installed, but now is) I suppose.
It is posted above-- cannot be done in 2017, IMO unless the lights are fed from a list pool trany

680.22(B)(6)(6) Low-Voltage Luminaires. Listed low-voltage luminaires not
requiring grounding, not exceeding the low-voltage contact
limit, and supplied by listed transformers or power supplies
that comply with 680.23(A)(2) shall be permitted to be located
less than 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside walls of the pool.

Metal parts less than 4 in in any dimension and do not penetrate more than 1" into the pool structure do not need to be bonded to the equipotential Grid, at least by the 2008 NEC.

The 4" dimension does not exist in the 2017

680.26(B)(7) Fixed Metal Parts. All fixed metal parts shall be bonded
including, but not limited to, metal-sheathed cables and raceways,
metal piping, metal awnings, metal fences, and metal
door and window frames.
Exception No. 1: Those separated from the pool by a permanent barrier
that prevents contact by a person shall not be required to be bonded.
Exception No. 2: Those greater than 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally from the
inside walls of the pool shall not be required to be bonded.
Exception No. 3: Those greater than 3.7 m (12 ft) measured vertically
above the maximum water level of the pool, or as measured vertically
above any observation stands, towers, or platforms, or any diving structures,
shall not be required to be bonded.

I cannot find the section at the moment, however I was sure that any such low-voltage lights also had to be fed from a pool or spa rated transformer. Maybe that is just under water...
Correct

JFletcher

So, from your post, I gather that the lights themselves if less than 15 volts and fed from a pool rated Transformer would be okay, however their metal trim rings would need to be bonded, yes?

All metal parts... So if you have a plastic pool ladder set in plastic cups in the concrete, and put a 2 inch long 1/4-20 bolt and stainless steel nut on it through the connection, that bolt(s) would technically need to be bonded to the grid? Do you know of the substantiation behind removing the 4-inch exception on metal parts?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I do not know why the change was made.. Yes the metal trim would technically need bonding....I have argued that bolt issue also. If a pool is within 5' of a house then the siding nails would need bonding. LOL...

Plastic ladder with a bolt above ground going thru a plastic sleeve is not likely to carry current

wyboy

680.26 (B)(5) 4” metal parts do not need to be bonded. A low voltage light fed from a pool rated transformer is allowed anywhere all other things being acceptable-680.22 (B)(7). All is from the 2017 NEC. My question is does the 4” medal bonding exclusion from 680.26 (B)(5) on metal fittings apply to 680.26 (B)(7) on fixed metal parts.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I missed that. IMO, that is different. That is talking about metal parts attached to or within the pool. However, it would seem if the lights are not over 4" they would not need bonding .. This section needs work, I assume that if the fixtures were fed from a spa or pool transformer than leave it alone. If the dimensions are longer than 4" on the fixture then it needs bonding.

I think the over 5' is in reference to wall fixtures usually 120V.

Status
Not open for further replies.