Ericson 3 piece union

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new to the this forum. Can anyone help me find out whether or not the Ericson 3 piece unions are approved for underground or wet locations? I'm using them on RMC 3/4".

jerryb

Re: Ericson 3 piece union

According to OZ Gedney the 3-piece union is only "Concretetight". I don't believe this would be good enough for underground which would be a "Wet" location.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

Your not going to keep water out of an underground raceway no matter what type fitting you use. Electrical couplings don't have a taper.

Then what type of fitting would a person use if they didn't have access to a bender and needed to put a sweep 90 in the ground. I wanted to used the ericson coupling because it is easy to put 2 long runs of conduit together at one point. Just curious if anyone has any names of fittings that would work.

BruceH

I've used rigid threadless compression fittings underground on several occasions. Jobs were all inspected. I believe these are also cheaper than an erickson.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I'll second Bruce's comment.

I've just been going through the UL White Book, the "General Information Guide", and I'm finding Conduit Fittings (DWTT) describing fittings for use on unthreaded rigid steel conduit. The language doesn't come straight out and say "suitable for direct burial", but seems to get there by a referencing Electrical Equipment for Use in Ordinary Locations (AALZ) which includes direct burial under Wet Locations.

Edit - typo

[ September 29, 2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: al hildenbrand ]

Status
Not open for further replies.