Estimating for Replacing Electrical After Fire Sprinkler Break

WA Electrician

New User
Occupation
Electrician/Project Manager
Hey All,

Been using this site for over a decade (amazing resource), and finally made an account because I finally found a question that I couldn’t find the answer too. Here’s my question.

I was currently asked to do an estimate for a retirement home where they had the sprinklers burst in one of their buildings. Walking through the building I didn’t find much in evidence of damage to most of the devices. A few panels that got hit hard where I could visibly tell it needed to be replaced, but mostly things just got a little wet. The sheetrock on some of the walls had been completely removed, others just the first couple feet.

Its fairly obvious that the walls that were completely void of sheetrock were wet from top to bottom, and the walls with just the first couple feet were from water wicking up the Sheetrock after it had pooled on the floor. My question is, do we need to replace devices and or wire on the walls that got wet from top to bottom? All the copper looked shiny and nothing was submerged. There is also cadet fan forced heaters in a lot of the areas but they looked fine visually, and had been used for dry out after the burst.

This is the first time in dealing with an insurance company on something this big before. I know the insurance company will be flying their own electrician up here to go through and judge the accuracy of my assessment of the damages. I’m a little nervous because I don’t want to undercut myself but I also don’t want to drive the price up if it doesn’t need to be replaced. I’m drowning in work right now, the only reason I’m bidding it is because its for a contractor that supplies one of my teams with about 9 months of work a year.

Thanks for all your help,
Keith

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
In my experience, for high-value claims the insurance will provide their own assessment and not necessarily “judge” what you think needs to be replaced. If you find something needs to be replaced that was missed, submit to the owner to turn over to the adjuster. They’re probably sending an engineer, not an electrician, and that person has probably seen this circumstance before and knows what to look for. They may not assign a dollar value, but instead just provided itemization of damages and have the owner submit bids. Depending on the underwriter and policy terms they may not require multiple bids and just accept what you quote.

I would replace any devices that got wet, but the wire is likely fine. I would replace any breakers that got wet. If it’s your opinion that the wire should also be replaced, say so to the customer. It’s unlikely you would be liable for any future claims on damages that were not apparent at the time. Especially if you are working off the adjusters recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hey All,

Been using this site for over a decade (amazing resource), and finally made an account because I finally found a question that I couldn’t find the answer too. Here’s my question.

I was currently asked to do an estimate for a retirement home where they had the sprinklers burst in one of their buildings. Walking through the building I didn’t find much in evidence of damage to most of the devices. A few panels that got hit hard where I could visibly tell it needed to be replaced, but mostly things just got a little wet. The sheetrock on some of the walls had been completely removed, others just the first couple feet.

Its fairly obvious that the walls that were completely void of sheetrock were wet from top to bottom, and the walls with just the first couple feet were from water wicking up the Sheetrock after it had pooled on the floor. My question is, do we need to replace devices and or wire on the walls that got wet from top to bottom? All the copper looked shiny and nothing was submerged. There is also cadet fan forced heaters in a lot of the areas but they looked fine visually, and had been used for dry out after the burst.

This is the first time in dealing with an insurance company on something this big before. I know the insurance company will be flying their own electrician up here to go through and judge the accuracy of my assessment of the damages. I’m a little nervous because I don’t want to undercut myself but I also don’t want to drive the price up if it doesn’t need to be replaced. I’m drowning in work right now, the only reason I’m bidding it is because its for a contractor that supplies one of my teams with about 9 months of work a year.

Thanks for all your help,
Keith
See this NEMA document: https://www.nema.org/docs/default-s...ctrical-equipment-guide.pdf?sfvrsn=7034f9b6_2
Most consider this this to be the definitive guide to water damage of electrical equipment and is often used in insurance claims.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
WA state LNI (electrical) AHJ has adopted the NEMA report mentioned above as a rule in WAC 296-46 B. So it does not matter what the insurance company wants. Recommend you pull a permiit