Estimating Surface mounted EMT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I am a Security and low voltage tech. Usually the Electrician on the job runs the conduit before we even have the job. Lately, with rising costs, we are being asked to supply our own conduit. Most of the time it is simple, surface mounted conduit to protect the wiring in a parking garage or a shell building. Maybe a couple of 90's or offsets, 1/2" - 2". I was looking for a "rule of thumb" or "basic" way of estimating these jobs. Maybe something like "price per foot" for materials and labor. Any advice for setting this up would be appreciated. Thank You, Joe

GrayHair

Been there, done that.

Unless you'll be running conduit every week for months, you are far better off hiring a pro to to do it. It will look better (ultimately your name is on it) and will be cheaper in the long run. I got to be just so-so running EMT, but usually burned up a bundle or two of conduit because I hadn't done it recently, it took me longer and the end result didn't look as good.

Talk to him about the job before bidding; there may be little, but possibly expensive, things he can advise you on.

kwired

Electron manager
Keep in mind if you are not used to running metal raceways, in particular bending it, it will take you more time and may have more waste from mistakes then it does for those that do it all the time.

Thank You Guys, That is the direction we have been going. Sometimes I start thinking we can do it all, but then I remember there is no time to do it all. Hire someone and be done. Thanks again.

macmikeman

I field calls from security system installer companies about once or twice a year (in the past mostly) looking for an estimate to run some emt conduit for them. They almost always pretend they are willing to pay what I would charge normally to do the work, but the conversation ends when (if) I go thru the motions and turn over a proper proposal. Seems they are usually willing to pay around $15 an hour, and my rates are ten times that amount easily. Have a nice day.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Thank You Guys, That is the direction we have been going. Sometimes I start thinking we can do it all, but then I remember there is no time to do it all. Hire someone and be done. Thanks again.

and if you do it, and you only do it once every year and a half,
it has that "loving hands of home" look to it.

most of the times it's just stub ups, and if you buy
a box offset bender for $300, you can make it work
ok.... if you want to carry boxes, pipe and fitting around
with you, and the tools to install it.

find yourself a sparky, and sub it out. faster and easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.