Estimating Wire in a building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danas

Hey guys,

I'm working in a new building from ground up and I'm getting ready to pull wire and was wanting to estimate on how much wire i would need for the building, does anyone know of a way to calculate that without running a mule tape in every conduit?

thanks

sparkyrick

How much pipe did you use? X the average number of wires in each conduit will get you ballpark. A little more accurate, but less time consuming is using a plan take-off tool, tracing the general direction each conduit is run X the planned number of wires in each conduit.

I use this: https://www.calculated.com/6/prd289/Scale-Master-Pro-6025-Digital-Plan-Measure.html

Scale-Master-Pro_Lg.jpg

sparkyrick

Another tool I use quite often to measure wire runs is my Hilti PD30 laser Range Meter. I used it a boatload of times last night, because our wire cart rolled the rubber off two of the four wheels (7 full rolls of #8 and 1 roll of #10 will do that, LOL). Since the cart wasn't going anywhere, I used the rangefinder to measure each run and pulled the wires off the cart as needed. Worked slick.

I have the PD-30. They have newer and smaller ones now, but mine still works great.

Big Orange has the PD 5 for $229.00

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hilti-PD-5-Laser-Range-Meter-2004789/203275980

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
How much pipe did you use? X the average number of wires in each conduit will get you ballpark. A little more accurate, but less time consuming is using a plan take-off tool, tracing the general direction each conduit is run X the planned number of wires in each conduit. ...
You have to account not only for the number of wires, but also their colors if you are installing conductors where the color is needed to identify the conductors.

cdslotz

Hey guys,

I'm working in a new building from ground up and I'm getting ready to pull wire and was wanting to estimate on how much wire i would need for the building, does anyone know of a way to calculate that without running a mule tape in every conduit?

thanks

You're working in a new building that was never estimated before?
My estimates would have every run accounted for, that would have the total footage of each run

JFletcher

For v/d/v wiring in hotels, a quick estimate was done this way:

Measure longest room pulls (say 275')
Measure shortest room pulls (say 55')
Avg the two ((275+55)/2) = 165'
Multiply by number of home runs/room (say, 4*) =660
Multiply by # of rooms (say 85) = 56,100
Add in all other drops (say, 45) at avg distance (165') = 7,425 + 56,100 = 63,525
Add in feeders from IDFs to MDF, demarc to PBX/data rooms (varies). Let's just say 66,000ft total at this point.
Guesstimate CCTV (were using siamese cable then), speakers separately.

*If there are 2 phone runs (cat5e) per room, 1 cat6, and one coax, you'd figure ~50%/25%/25% of that 66k' for cat5e/cat6/coax. This would be 33k' cat5e, 16.5k' cat6, 16.5k' coax, probably one box speaker cable, and 1-3 rolls siamese, plus some length of 25/50/100pr for phone feeders.

Obviously not to the foot accurate, but would get you very close much of the time. Took me about 5 minutes to do the math here. If we were short, we'd order more before we ran out, and if over, use the extra on the next project. Always aimed for short on the initial order as carrying umpteen partial boxes/spools of 6-8 different cable types to another job was more trouble than it was worth. Waste was somewhere around 3-4%.

If you're pulling in 750MCM feeders you want a much more exact measurement than the umpteen thousand feet of NM/MC/THHN you will need. The only thing we measured precisely was 25/50/100pr cable as a thousand foot spool weighs a ton, costs a fortune, and we did not want to come up short or significantly over.

Hope that helps some on the v/d/v side of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.