Estimating wire needed for residential work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know of a rule of thumb method of estimating how much wire would be needed to wire say a 5000 square foot house.

I know I need to separately determine the special purpose circuits.

JohnE

Re: Estimating wire needed for residential work

I don't have a rule of thumb, but if I were doing it I'd use about 6000' 14/2, 2000' 14/3, 2000' 12/2. Based upon past experience. Plus Cat 5, RG6 Quad, 18/2, 18/6, 16/2 fire alarm cable, etc. as needed.

Oh yeah, and zip cord for the under cabinet lighting. :D

wyatt

I have found that 1' per 1 sq foot of 14-2 is real close. 1/4 that for 12-2 and 14-3. Also real ball park but close fig $1 per sq foot in materal.this includes wire

stars13bars2

Tony
Is that using 14/2 on receptacles other than small appliance, bath and laundry?

ceb

Tony is correct on the 1ft per 1sqft. I have been doing 3100sq ft speck. homes and wind up with 3000' 14-2 , around 500' 14-3, and 250' 12-2 in each one

wyatt

on the cost of materal? yes but it is ball park. every house is deferant but it is close.

peter d

workingman said:
you guys still use #14 huh?

Here we go again. :roll: There is absolutely nothing wrong with #14. Millions of feet of it are installed every year. Please provide one good reason why #14 is bad.

wyatt2

For all guys that think all #12 makes you a better electrician, thats just a lot hot air you blow at the HO. In the hands of a good electrician #14 is a great product. I would bet money that I could go to one of your all #12 jobs and find a box fill gig.

mulllet

I do not use #14 or multiwire branch circuits.
I will not down anyone for doing so.

My reason, Safety!
We all know what happens when a 15 amp circuit starts tripping the breaker now don't we.
Of course the same thing can happen with #12 but not as likely
The only defense I hear from people who have to use the two fore mentioned methods to be competitive and get jobs is that the home owner or unqualified persons should not be doing electrical work.
Or that the reason is to save copper and power consumption.
I agree, but.
If I can keep one conductor from starting one fire and taking one life or one home then I dont feel that my choice was made out of ignorance.
I know many contractors that feel the same way.
That the gain is not worth the risk.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If I can keep one conductor from starting one fire and taking one life or one home then I dont feel that my choice was made out of ignorance.
I know many contractors that feel the same way.
That the gain is not worth the risk

How can a #14 conductor with a properly sized OCPD be a fire hazard? What makes this any less safe than a 20 amp circuit?

quogueelectric

14 wire

14 wire

Common sense and a good understanding of ampacity is all one needs to install 14 safely. Some comercial electricians think they are above 14 wire but they have a lot to learn if they cannot install it safely. Sparky

celtic

mulllet said:
I do not use #14 or multiwire branch circuits.
I will not down anyone for doing so.

My reason, Safety!
We all know what happens when a 15 amp circuit starts tripping the breaker now don't we.
Of course the same thing can happen with #12 but not as likely

Why not just use #10?

macmikeman

There is very little chance of overloading a 15 amp circuit when using 4/0 ser cable for the branch circuit wiring. Its just hard to get the receptacles into the box afterwards. Seriously, you can overload a 20 amp circuit wired with #12 just as easy as you can a 15 amp circuit wired with #14. But I still prefer to wire all receptacles with #12, just since they make some high powered vacume cleaners nowadays. Lighting circuits in a residential - #14 is my standard. On commercial there is a fair chance of somebody adding drop in fixtures to the existing circuits, so I use lots of circuits and minimum #12 branch, lots of times #10 branch wiring for the lights on a 20 amp breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.