ET class hours credit for the C-10? (California)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Che_Bouldo

Occupation
Electrician
Hi all,
Does completing a certified ET program (in my case WECA) credit you any years/hours toward the 4 years of required journeyman level to sit for the C-10?

I was in somewhat of a unique situation where I have worked 6+ years with the same C-10 as an ET (I was the only employee).
I did not sit for the Journeyman test as I steadily got raises and eventually was paid Journeyman like wages. I thought I would take the test when he was retiring and then apply for a C-10
This sounds like it could bite me in the rear when trying to apply for the C-10 as they want 4 years of a journeyman status.

It looks like getting a C-10 could take me 10+ years since I started working in the field because I did not sit for the Journeyman test, even though I have the skillset of that level.

I have exhausted my search and the CSLB won't give me any clear answers.
Does anyone have any insight if the CSLB might make an exception in a case like this?

In the meantime, I am going to sit for the Journeyman test as quickly as possible, another 4 years as an employee without the ability of getting a C-10 is soul crushing.

Hope you guys/gals have a safe day and might be able to send a sliver of insight/positivity my way.
Respectfully,
-Che

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I do not believe the CSLB has any rule hard and fast rule requiring you to have a journeyman certification from DIR to apply for a C-10. In fact as far as I know, you could have worked for a C-10 for 4 years in some non-electrical-worker role, such as sales or warehouse worker, and possibly still be legally eligible to apply for a C-10, as long as you can pass the trade test.

I think in your case the CSLB would likely be understanding if your employer vouches for you on the Certification of Work form. Since neither you or he violated any laws there should be no risk in trying. You should just try.

If you also are applying for your journeyman cert that can only help your case. And if you want to work for another C-10 employer instead of manage your own business then you'll want the journeyman cert anyway.

Che_Bouldo

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the reply!
The CSLB says you need 4)years of journeyman-level or higher
classification so how does a sales worker ect fit into the journeyman category?

I would take that to mean I’d need to have a JM license for 4 years under a C-10. Wouldn’t my boss/me be violating the law if he vouched and I don’t have official JM status?
Maybe I’m misinterpreting there definition of a “journeyman level”.

Che_Bouldo

Occupation
Electrician
Also I found this from CSLB..
Journey-level experience applies to a person who has completed an apprenticeship program or is an experienced worker, not a trainee, and is fully qualified and able to perform a specific trade without supervision

So I believe to be fully qualified to perform electrical work for a without supervision you need to have a journeyman license otherwise you are a trainee (me) who legally has to have supervision.

Che_Bouldo

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the reply!
The CSLB says you need 4)years of journeyman-level or higher
classification so how does a sales worker ect fit into the journeyman category?

I would take that to mean I’d need to have a JM license for 4 years under a C-10. Wouldn’t my boss/me be violating the law if he vouched and I don’t have official JM status?
Maybe I’m misinterpreting their definition of a “journeyman level”.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Yes the CSLB has that general verbiage but keep in mind it applies to all trades but only electrical journeyman get certified by the state. So if you were a plumber it would just be a matter of your former employer willing to say that 4 of your six years you performed at journeyman level and sign his name to it.

In this case your employer can say the same thing and if they ask why you didn't take the journeyman test then you just say you didn't realize there was any urgency because you were only working for him, but you plan to take it now to prove your level. They might be just fine with that. I do believe the worst that can happen is that they say no, for now. I don't believe your boss would get in trouble for stating that in his opinion you were performing at journeyman level even though you didn't have a card yet. While they may report egregious violations of the electrical apprentice law to DIR, it's not CSLB's job to enforce that law, and you guys didn't break that law. I believe worst CSLB can do is say 'We don't accept your bosses opinion as sufficient for your application because we want you to get certified by DIR.'

I believe the CSLB has a fair amount of discretion. They might just say 'call us back when you've got your journeyman card'. Or they might even say 'we'll give you credit for 2 years journeyman level, work two more years with the card and you're eligible'.

Also hopefully CSLB is not going out of their way to make it hard to become a C-10 when you see articles like this, but I guess you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.