Ethernet Cable in Class 1 Div 2 area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timlocke

I am looking at installing a new camera system in a Class 1 Div 2 area.

The ethernet switches will be installed in a Type Z purged cabinet. The other end of the cable will be in an explosion proof camera enclosure.

The conduit will cross several Hazloc boundaries so we are using seal offs at both enclosures.

Is it necessary to split out the ethernet cable in the seal off or can the fact that both ends are inside enclosures be used to prevent that?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Tim

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

The ethernet switches will be installed in a Type Z purged cabinet. The other end of the cable will be in an explosion proof camera enclosure.

The conduit will cross several Hazloc boundaries so we are using seal offs at both enclosures.

Is it necessary to split out the ethernet cable in the seal off or can the fact that both ends are inside enclosures be used to prevent that?

Tim
If I understand your situation correctly... Apparently the camera and the ethernet switch are in Class 1 Div 2 areas. My first question is why? The situation that you describe implies that it would be easy to place the switch outside a Div 2 boundary. So, that said, the purged cabinet would likely need seals to maintain the airtight integrity, not the same as needing a seal to contain explosize gasses and fire. These are two different things. The Camera only needs a seal if the interior components have the potential to ignite the gasses. It is at each Hozloc boundary that code will require seals. As long as the cable is continuous, it can be treated as any other low voltage wire or cable and I don't understand your terminology of "splitting" it out. It can't be in a conduit with class one or power wiring anyway, and you have to create space between each conductor or cable in a seal, otherwise what do you mean?

Tim

Why not route it in a wire channel(basket) as a PLTC cable? There would be a need for a cable gland - Crouse-Hinds CGB, or similar - on the purged end as it only required to maintain, contain the pressurization and minimize airloss. On the other end, if the camera is trully XP rated that requires the potential explosion to be contained within, then a seal fitting should take care of the business. If you are thinking of splitting the power feed and the signal(Ethernet) feed into the camera body, feed the power conduit and the Ethernet cable into a condulet and couple that into the camera body. When installing the seal, just remove the jacket where it is surrounded by the sealing material, from the Ethernet Cable, exposing single conductors/wires.

If the camera is XP rated to be suitable for both Div. 1 and 2, when installing it in Div. 2 area you may not need to install seal(s) if the camera and PTZ does not contain heating or arc producing components within. Confirm it with the manufacturers engineering deaprtment though, in writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.