Ethernet cable question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part 77

This should probably be in LV&LE, but there's usually 20 times more people viewing here. And this is for a possible bid for my small electrical contracting co.
There is an existing underground RMC raceway feeding street lights (240 single phase) that the city may want to utilize for adding a 150' or so run of CAT 5 ethernet cable. Providing the fill is not exceeded, is there a product available with a UF (direct burial) listing? This is needed in my opinion because the conduit is always full of water. The electrical engineer who programmed some show lighting that this would be for said an ethernet cable can share a raceway with power conductors. He wasn't sure what was available with direct burial qualities. Any ideas?
TIA.

iwire

Staff member
If it has to go in the same raceway as class 1 power conductors they will be better of using fiber.

In general you can not run data cabling in the same raceway as class 1 power.

Part 77

725.26 (B) (1) would seem to apply as the power circuit is associated with the limited power circuit (Ethernet cable). Of course, wiring methods in Art. 300 say that the insulation value of the limited power conductors must equal the same voltage rating of the power conductors (600 volts). Am I off here in my interpetation?

iwire

Staff member
Part 77 said:
Oh, a quick search did find Direct burial ethernet cable. I need to go back and check the insulation rating.

You can't run Data cable no matter the insulation rating in the same conduit as power wiring.

Forgetting about the NEC it is very likely you would have problems with the data transmission because of the electrical noise that the AC would put into the data cable.

Getting back to the NEC 725.26 does not apply here, that section is about power wiring and class 1 circuits.

Your installation would be power circuits with class 2 or 3 circuits.

That would be covered by 725.55

Trust me, if running data cable and power wiring together was allowed we would be seeing it done.

Separate conduits for power and data.

kbsparky

iwire said:
.... if running data cable and power wiring together was allowed we would be seeing it done....

This is done all the time by utilities by placing those cables together in the same trench. Power companies routinely install phone cables with their feeders from the street to the meter box. CATV wires are sometimes added as well. There may not be an acutal conduit involved, but the cables are laid together nontheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.