ethics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyou812

Since Ive been out on my own Ive been aproched by other contractors and builders that I used to work with when I worked for other bosses. I have declined 4 times already from 4 different builders just for the ethics of it all. But my question is at what point do these other builders become fair game? Usually I run into them in a deli or something and they say so were ya working now and I tell them Im on my own and they say "Do you have a card " and low and behold a few weeks later the phone rings. what would you do?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I've had the same thing happen. If they approach me, its fair game. When I left my employer, I actually got hired to finish some projects I was running with that company.

Minuteman

If you did not sign a no compete agreement with you previous employer, and you did not initiate the conversation, than you have done nothing wrong. Give them a bid on some new project.

However, if you left company X and the next day called customer Y and told them that you could beat X's price... than that would be unethical.

quogueelectric

Go for it full tilt because that is probably the way your old boss got started. This is not a warm fuzzy game. I am sure your ex boss is badmouthing you every chance he can get. It is the circle of life . The old lions get pushed out of the pride by the young lions who take over the pride. Hakuma matada hakuma matada................

Last edited:

realolman

My opinion is except for using the details of specific uncontracted jobs, known to you because of having worked for your old boss, these other contractor acquaintences are fair game the minute you walk out the door.

ultramegabob

Personally, I wouldnt go around handing out cards to my former employers customers, but if the customer asks for a card and is shopping around and contacting me, then they are fair game. As much as you dont want to step on toes, it is going to happen in business...

growler

tonyou812 said:
But my question is at what point do these other builders become fair game?

The day your boss stops paying your salary is the day you become a free agent either to work for another company or seeks work on your on behalf.

The only thing I wouldn't do is get cut throat. These guys probably want you because they have seen your work and they know what to expect ( not just cheap price). Go price the jobs to make money and if you get them it's great.

brian john

Free enterprise, if you solicit them while working for your old employer that IMO is wrong. Once on your own, you are there as a businessman, be fair, be honest, BUT they are fair game.

powerslave

Bidding against your former employer is going to be inevitable now that you are in business for yourself.

And from the OP it appears that you didn't go out and solicit these GCs. They contacted you.

I have bid against my former employer on many occasions. It's part of being in business.

quogueelectric

Just remember the jugular is on his right side so dont try to take him down from his left you will just get all messy. How many clients did he take when he got started? probably more than you think. Most of the guys I know who have done it have taken half when they left and they never shed a tear.

480sparky

Minuteman said:
If you did not sign a no compete agreement with you previous employer, and you did not initiate the conversation, than you have done nothing wrong. Give them a bid on some new project.

However, if you left company X and the next day called customer Y and told them that you could beat X's price... than that would be unethical.

In some states, a no-compete clause is worthless.

JohnJ0906

480sparky said:
In some states, a no-compete clause is worthless.
Minuteman said:
I agree... but we are talking ethics, not legalities

I signed a 1 year no-compete clause when I started with my present employer. (Basically, I agreed not to advertise in his area for 1 year after leaving)
Legal or not, I will stand behind my word if and when the time comes.

480sparky

The 'no-compete' clause I singed at my last employed only stated that I would not actively seek out their current customers.

But if they call me, hey, they're fair game. It's called Free Enterprise.

Personally, and professionally, I would not have wanted any of their customers anyway.

And if we're talking about ethics, what is so ethical about your employer demanding you start out your own business with such a restriction?

growler

480sparky said:
And if we're talking about ethics, what is so ethical about your employer demanding you start out your own business with such a restriction?

I think they just don't want you to down load their customer base and start sending them flyers ( there's a new kid on the block). If you just advertise in the phone book then there is nothing lost.

bikeindy

I don't seek out the contractors that my old boss had simply because I have a good working relationship with him still today. I even call him from time to time if I am bidding a project I think he may be bidding. Most of his contractors I don't want anyway they are slow payers and the work is a PITA. I have thrown him work and vise versa when we have something the other may be better at handling. If my relationship was different and his contractors were calling me because they knew the job would be done better by us and they weren't thinking they would get some better deal I would give them a price.

adamants

fair game

fair game

when i left my last employer, i sat down and made a deal with them, that they would pass all the alarm work on to me, and i would leave all their customers alone. about a month after i left, they started to train someone else up in alarms! so i beat them at their own game, i poached the newly trained employee for myself :D now if they want alarm work done, they have to call me, also their customers are now fair game. one of thei ex customers spends a lot of money with me quite regularly. if you make a deal, stick to it. get even!

Last edited by a moderator:

480sparky

adamants said:
when i left my last employer, i sat down and made a deal with them, that they would pass all the alarm work on to me, and i would leave all their customers alone. about a month after i left, they started to train someone else up in alarms! so i beat them at their own game, i poached the newly trained employee for myself now if they want alarm work done, they have to call me, also their customers are now fair game. one of thei ex customers spends a lot of money with me quite regularly. if you make a deal, stick to it. get even!

In other words, lower yourself to their level?

Last edited by a moderator:

cadpoint

What was the 90's buzz word > marketing ! The term, Networking, is its upgrade.

You've hung your shingle ! Your in Business !
Wait, why did you give them your card ?

I'm waiting to hear more of about the "pitch, in these conversations"!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.