ETL label

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was installing some dyson airblade hand dryers & I did not see a UL marking.
There was a ETL marking on the hand dryers, is that equivilant to a UL stamp.
Also what does ETL stand for & will the inspector pass it with just that marking.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
And to answer the other part of your question, ETL originally was an acronym for Electrical Testing Laboratories. But since being absorbed by the larger corporation (Semko), it is just a logo now.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The ultimate question...
Nate Scott said:
...will the inspector pass it with just that marking.
...and the only answer anyone other than your AHJ can give you is perhaps.

bphgravity

ETL was originally Edison Testing Laboratories. The company was established by Tom himself. Today, ETL is still a division of Intertek Testing Laboratories.

Here is a basic history:
In 1896 Edison established a Lamp Testing Bureau within his manufacturing facility, then called the Edison Electric Illuminating Company.

His vision was to provide assurance to consumers, through various product performance and safety tests. Before long, it was well known through various promotions that lighting products manufactured by Edison's company had been tested and proven to meet established (but not yet official) requirements. Almost immediately, many of Edison's competitors, like General Electric, recognized the value in this service and used the testing and verification services of Edison's Lamp Testing Bureau to bring more value to their own brands.

Independence

The basic principles of Edison's third-party lamp testing methods remain the same today. Experts monitored lamps and bulbs to determine how long they would burn, the luminous intensity and if everything burned as it should - without combustibility or explosion. Edison and his staff developed test methods and standards for consistency of each product evaluation.

As Edison and his competitors' product designs were modified for better performance and greater safety, the Lamp Testing Bureau set forth to devise even more stringent testing methods to verify that the products were safe and did, in fact, perform as manufacturers said they would. Eventually, word of Edison's rigorous testing requirements reached consumers, and many soon replaced candles or gaslights in their homes with electric lights where electricity was available. Independent testing of lighting products was a reality for the first time, and manufacturers reaped the benefit of third-party verification.

Soon after, the use of certain electrical testing equipment involved in the lamp testing procedures led to calls for services to determine the safety and perfomance of those instruments, and occasionally Edison's lab was requested to evaluate the performance of some entirely new electrical devices. In response to broader demand for testing services, Edison renamed his testing business unit in 1904 to more clearly identify its purpose. Electrical Testing Laboratories (ETL) was its new name.

Tradition

Today, nearly a century later, Edison's "ETL" brand lives on as a result of Edison's continued success in product testing throughout his lifetime and the ongoing effort of his colleagues, who maintained his companies with the same testing integrity after Edison's death in 1931.

Edison's testing organization, which first helped to calm the fears of safety-conscious consumers through product certification and verification, is now part of Intertek.

LJSMITH1

I have done quite a bit of research on the ETL-UL issue. As one poster stated, ETL is on the NRTL, and is approved to test to many UL specifications (but not all - yet).

They have certifcation/listing services similar to UL where they perform the required testing and provide listing services to their clients. The main difference between ETL and UL is that UL 'creates' specifications and ETL typically does not. That has nothing to do with the certification and listing services that many of you rely on.

The NEC/NFPA does not endorse UL or any other specific NRTL. So, as long as there is a NRTL mark on a product, I would feel confident that it meets the appropriate criteria and is an approved product. Likewise, I think that all AHJ's should have the confidence that no matter who the NRTL is, the product is approvable and it's listing is verifiable.

However, in my research, I have heard of AHJ's that will only accept UL only. IMHO, this is an endorsement of a specific product/company and it should not be allowed if there are other equal alternatives presented.

LJSMITH1 said:
However, in my research, I have heard of AHJ's that will only accept UL only. IMHO, this is an endorsement of a specific product/company and it should not be allowed if there are other equal alternatives presented.
I have heard (3rd-4th hand) of a couple instances that the lawyers had to get involved in these cases. None of them did the AHJ come out with the winning cards...

LJSMITH1

I have actually met with ETL, and they told me that they have had a few instances where UL was specifically requested over ETL. They (ETL) made one phonecall to the decisionmaker, and the issue was resolved.

In most cases, lack of NRTL acceptance by an AHJ or purchasing manager indicates that there needs to be some education provided. AHJ's are not the authorities on testing and certification, only code issues. If anyone gets a red tag because a panel, product, or system is not specifically "UL" listed - but is listed with another, equivalent NRTL like ETL or CSA, they should contest it.

I am not a UL 'hater', I just want people to know that manufacturers/designers have options on who they want to use as an NRTL. While UL may be the only game in town for some certifications, they are not for most.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
is vision was to provide assurance to consumers, through various product performance and safety tests. Before long, it was well known through various promotions that lighting products manufactured by Edison's company had been tested and proven to meet established (but not yet official) requirements. Almost immediately, many of Edison's competitors, like General Electric, recognized the value in this service and used the testing and verification services of Edison's Lamp Testing Bureau to bring more value to their own brands.
And now the rest of the story.

IIRC, the real reason he created the testing facility was to "prove" that his DC system was better and safer than the competing AC system invented by Tesla. He actually electrocuted cows with AC, among other things, to "prove" his point.

petersonra said:

IIRC, the real reason he created the testing facility was to "prove" that his DC system was better and safer than the competing AC system invented by Tesla. He actually electrocuted cows with AC, among other things, to "prove" his point.

Where is PETA when you need them:grin:

bphgravity

petersonra said:

Actually, the "war of currents" as it was known back then was well over by this time. Westinghouse/Tesla won the contract to install A/C generators and a Power Distribution System to Buffalo at Niagra Falls.

Edison abandoned his wide-scale development of the D/C power systems and was only maintaining existing or speciality accounts at the turn of the century.

But you are correct about Edison's rather crude attempts to establish A/C as the end of all mankind. Cow electrocution was nothing. Look up the "Topsy the Elephant Electrocution" on Youtube or some other video provider. Edison electrocuted Topsy on the Atlantic City Boardwalk. When that didn't work to persuede the public, he helped promote the use of the electric chair for executions and even helped design the very first one to use A/C rather than D/C to again instill danger in the minds of the average citizen.

Edison was perhaps one of the most amazing persons of all time. Most think it was due to his inventiveness, but it was really his ability to self promote.

Status
Not open for further replies.