We have cable on site that is ETL listed but not UL listed
Is ETL accepted by the NEC as a NRTL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hi Don
The Inspectors are saying that listing is required by NEC. But you’re saying it’s actually not a requirement - is that accurate?

I said the requirement stops short of requiring the product be be listed by a testing laboratory that is on OSHA's NRTL list .

It is required to be listed and the listing agency must comply with 110.3(C). 110.3(C) says the listing "shall be performed by recognized qualified electrical testing laboratories".

The informational note says that the OSHA Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) list is one way to determine if the listing agency is a "recognized qualified electrical testing laboratory".

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Hi Don
The Inspectors are saying that listing is required by NEC. But you’re saying it’s actually not a requirement - is that accurate?

It also depends on the type of cable. for instance look at 334.6 and 340.6 then look at 336 and 338, notice there is no xxx.6.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
I said the requirement stops short of requiring the product be be listed by a testing laboratory that is on OSHA's NRTL list .

It is required to be listed and the listing agency must comply with 110.3(C). 110.3(C) says the listing "shall be performed by recognized qualified electrical testing laboratories".

The informational note says that the OSHA Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) list is one way to determine if the listing agency is a "recognized qualified electrical testing laboratory".

Thanks for clarification