Euro style conduit in resi with gypcrete

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I did another one of those house with gypcrete and glycol filled pex for floor heat. In Europe and other places in the world smurf is laid on the floor and covered in concrete and they just cover it in the end. I'm tempted to do this one day if they'd go for thicker gypcrete but just seeing if anyone ever has tried it that way.

Only issues I can think of is watching number of bends and making sure not to get in the way of the pex.

Attachments

• oar2.jpg
    oar2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 22

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I'm tempted to do this one day if they'd go for thicker gypcrete but just seeing if anyone ever has tried it that way.
362.10(6) says it is permitted:
Encased in poured concrete floors, ceilings, walls, and
slabs.

Concrete is not the same as Gypcrete. We use gypcrete here as a fireproofing and sound deadening between floors over a plywood sub-floor. I have seen gypcrete with carpet installed over it break all up and all have to be removed. I certainly wouldn't want any wireways running in it.

Remember also that what they do in Europe is not done here with reason.

-Hal

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
362.10(6) says it is permitted:
Encased in poured concrete floors, ceilings, walls, and
slabs.

Concrete is not the same as Gypcrete. We use gypcrete here as a fireproofing and sound deadening between floors over a plywood sub-floor. I have seen gypcrete with carpet installed over it break all up and all have to be removed. I certainly wouldn't want any wireways running in it.

Remember also that what they do in Europe is not done here with reason.

-Hal
I'm looking at it the other way. Europe tried something and thought it was good and we decided it wasn't. The opposite came about for wirenuts they're scared of them and people here are scared of 240 for standard outlets and equipment.

I'm looking at it from an outside the box idea.

Gypcrete is officially known as "gypsum concrete" so it's a type of concrete

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Call it what you like. It's a lightweight plaster like material easily penetrated and broken. Concrete is structural, gypcrete is not.

Besides, good luck fishing and pulling through smurf tubing.

-Hal
Never had any issue with fishing and pulling through ENT, other than if you try to slide conductors by each other it is much more difficult than with EMT.

Choice_Gorilla

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
ENT gets used all the time here for slab work. It’s not my first choice of raceway to fish wire through, but it works just fine despite all of my complaining while I do it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I can't imagine using it in slabs the way they pour concrete around here...no way that the ENT would survive the rough treatment. Especially the above grade structural floors where the specs often require the raceway to be near the center of the slab.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I can't imagine using it in slabs the way they pour concrete around here...no way that the ENT would survive the rough treatment. Especially the above grade structural floors where the specs often require the raceway to be near the center of the slab.
Gypcrete doesn't have that issue it's used over a 4in slab or on top of a standard wood subfloor. Usually 2 inch thick

Choice_Gorilla

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've done slabs before I'm talking about the only time we mess with slabs not all poured at once
Mostly just commenting on the fish ability of ENT. I’ve never considered what you originally proposed. You’re talking a dwelling, in my head romex is already so easy to work with I wouldn’t want to complicate things. Unless theres a specific reason you want a raceway in the floor, like to hit an island or floor box or something.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Mostly just commenting on the fish ability of ENT. I’ve never considered what you originally proposed. You’re talking a dwelling, in my head romex is already so easy to work with I wouldn’t want to complicate things. Unless theres a specific reason you want a raceway in the floor, like to hit an island or floor box or something.
I just did a house with this stuff that had like 20 major beams and a barely usable crawl spaces. One of those mid century style ones with steel I beams in all the walls