Europe Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

I've often read here that blue in Europe is a neutral for AC. What is blue in DC, is there a blue in Blue DC?

I'm in a plant that is owned by the French and blue is used in both regular AC voltages and in DC control wiring.

I've been stuck on other projects and nothing to do with wiring. :)

My first thought is that Blue in low voltage would be negative! The pair of wires are brown and blue!

Thoughts, observations; thanks in advance...

hurk27

I've often read here that blue in Europe is a neutral for AC. What is blue in DC, is there a blue in Blue DC?

I'm in a plant that is owned by the French and blue is used in both regular AC voltages and in DC control wiring.

My first thought is that Blue in low voltage would be negative! The pair of wires are brown and blue!

This is why we should never assume the purpose of a conductor until we know for sure via testing or seeking the answer from other means, sure we follow requirements that we are supposed to when we do the wiring, but when trouble shooting, installing or any other work on something existing (wired by others) we should always keep an open mind and never assume what a wire is used for until we know for sure, over the years I have worked on equipment from all over the world, and there is nothing we can take for granted, or we can get into trouble real fast, this is why they make test equipment so we can test to see what we are dealing with. even the wiring diagrams can be much different, symbols, terms, even reading left to right in the case of Japanese prints, we must learn to adapt our way of thinking so we can understand the different ways things can be or are done around the world.

Even here in the states we can have wiring from one era to the next that can differ, I have run into many installations where green was used as a hot, others where white was switched, each case must be scrutinized and checked before we do anything when we are working on the unknown, I think the biggest one was a Chicago three way, that gets many electricians who have never run into one, so it is simple never base what a conductor is by the color of its skin until you know what those who went before you used.

Oh did you know that electrons are color blind:happyyes:

Last edited:

cadpoint

I finally got to see what's inside the low voltage work.
I guess I put the cart before the horse!

I had it reversed, Blue is positive and not negative!

The white with a blue strip is the negative throughout the low voltage.
Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Photo's one and two are the top and bottom of the same device!

I didn't get to study what the thrid picture is! (my mistake again)

blu2.jpg blu1.jpg blu3.jpg

Besoeker

The harmonised colours:

Harmonisedcolours-1.jpg

For single-phase ac, live is brown, neutral is blue, and earth (ground) is yellow/green.

Mostly we use DC (usually 24Vdc) for control circuits in panels. Very the wire colours are specified by the customer really just so that power and control wiring can easily be identified.

I did find this:

IECDCcolours01.jpg

Besoeker

Thank you Besoeker! I have had similar problems in the past, very helpful to have great european members here!
It would be, but you're lumbered with me!!:)
Excuse my terrible sense of humour.....
Thank you for your kind words.

cadpoint

Bow, isn't that schematic on AC voltage a representation of a past to present wire change that just happened in England ?

Thanks also!

Status
Not open for further replies.