EV Charger Disconnect - 625.43

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting more and more jobs to install DC Fast Chargers. These take 480V and or are 240V but at 100 amps.

The code seems pretty clear that a disconnect is required for chargers at 60 amps or larger. However, it seems crazy to put a disconnect in a consumer parking lot that can be accessed by anyone. It also seems to pointless to put a disconnect in some sort of locked enclosure.

What is happening in the real world? Are people putting these disconnects in? I don't see any sort of disconnects out by the Tesla Superchargers. Is this a code section that's not being enforced?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am getting more and more jobs to install DC Fast Chargers. These take 480V and or are 240V but at 100 amps.

The code seems pretty clear that a disconnect is required for chargers at 60 amps or larger. However, it seems crazy to put a disconnect in a consumer parking lot that can be accessed by anyone. It also seems to pointless to put a disconnect in some sort of locked enclosure.

What is happening in the real world? Are people putting these disconnects in? I don't see any sort of disconnects out by the Tesla Superchargers. Is this a code section that's not being enforced?
If it is out where somebody might open it as a prank, put a padlock on it and lock it closed.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
625.43 does not regulate the location of the required disconnecting means. So you can put it anywhere, and even use a permanent breaker lock on the branch circuit breaker, if those are available for the size of breaker supplying the DCFC.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.