EV charger separate utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have EV chargers going to be installed in car dealership building. Separate electric service is provided with 500A three phase 480/277V for EV chargers. The total building service plus 500A new EV charger service is Not greater than 2000A.

Is there anything in NEC 2017 that allows new service for EV chargers?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Maybe.
Once again you have not provided enough information.

Right cause plans dont show it. It does not show existing building utility service I assume its not greater than 800A.

It maybe due to reliability and existing service maybe too small or EV chargers draw too much power so separate utility provided. I am not sure either nothing regarding existing building service is provided

I was wondering like fire pumps are allowed additional service is there anything that allows like that for EV chargers.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Right cause plans dont show it. It does not show existing building utility service I assume its not greater than 800A.
I am not sure either nothing regarding existing building service is provided
This info should be available.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Well EV chargers are inside the building as well as outside parking. Inside cause its car dealership has car in building for show.

I also was thinking is the new electric utility service serving the building or not? Its dedicated only to EV chargers

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I also was thinking
That's usually where the problem starts :)
Assuming you are doing plans review, go back to the originator and ask on what Section of 230.2 did he base his decision on adding a 2nd service.
Is it a different characteristic, does POCO have a different rate schedule foe EVs, etc.
None of those questions can be answered here.

Well EV chargers are inside the building as well as outside parking. Inside cause its car dealership has car in building for show.

I also was thinking is the new electric utility service serving the building or not? Its dedicated only to EV chargers

I think you might be working on literally the same program I am. (There is a nationwide program being spearheaded by a company I won't mention to install EV chargers at dealerships across the country.)

Anyway, can't you just put the show room chargers on an existing panel? There is usually only a couple of them. Sometimes just one.

The rest of the chargers are usually exterior to the building, so there should be no problem with a second service.

retirede

I think you might be working on literally the same program I am. (There is a nationwide program being spearheaded by a company I won't mention to install EV chargers at dealerships across the country.)

Anyway, can't you just put the show room chargers on an existing panel? There is usually only a couple of them. Sometimes just one.

The rest of the chargers are usually exterior to the building, so there should be no problem with a second service.

The OP says 500A, 480V service for the chargers. It sounds like these are truly chargers - DC fast chargers.

What you describe (connected to existing panel) sounds more like a level 2 EVSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.